Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

"Origin and Development of the Linotype Machine"

Started by rag451, June 23, 2006, 04:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

rag451

UPDATE: This article was updated in 2014 to include Part 2 of the Inland Printer Article, and a link to download the full article in PDF format - Admin

Origin & Development of the Linotype (Parts 1 & 2)
Click to download full article as a PDF (3.6mb).

This article, written by Henry Lewis Bullen, was published in the February 1924 issue of The Inland Printer. It, along with about 150 other issues, are a part of a collection I maintain dating from 1897-1945. If you know of a certain issue I can look something up for you in, please by all means send me an e-mail.

Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
www.burlesonlinotype.com
www.burlesonhistory.com

Dan Williams

Those court stenographers really were sold on that paper mache scheme, before Mergenthaler set them straight. It is interesting to note that the stenographer, Moore, devised the line casting scheme. Remember, Moore had devised a casting box and impressed letter-forms that could be interchanged. Moore could cast letterpress slugs individually, before the Linotype machine was devised. Correct me if I messed up my history, here.

Dave Hughes

A very interesting article.

It would seem that the passage of time has done a great disservice to the other people involved in the invention of the machine. I suppose history is so much simpler if everything just has one "inventor."

Hats off to Robert for sharing this resource with the Forum.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

intertypeman

Hi - I only just discovered this fascinating old thread, and made a copy the same way as Dave did, but I notice that this was actually Part 1 of an article that was "to be continued". Do you have the rest of the article among your copies of The Inland Printer, and would thy be equally worth posting?

UPDATE: This article was updated in 2014 to include Part 2 of the Inland Printer Article, and a link to download the full article in PDF format - Admin

https://www.metaltype.co.uk/downloads/odl.pdf
Origin & Development of the Linotype (Parts 1 & 2) Click to download full article as a PDF (3.6mb).

rag451

I looked through my stack, and I don't believe I have the March 1924 issue. I purchased a few Inland Printers off of eBay about a year ago, and one of the gentlemen I bought them from offered to sell an additional 100 issues from the 1920s and 1930s. Some are in great shape, while others are intact but almost entirely disbound. I simply haven't had the time - unfortunately - to scan more, but I've been reading some fascinating pieces in the magazines. If you're ever in Texas and want to rifle through them, just send me an e-mail.

It's rather sad to see the decline in The Inland Printer after the onset of The Great Depression. The final editions of 1929 were, in a word, beautiful, while after 1930 they become more utilitarian and less artistic.

Robert Griffith
http://www.burlesonheritage.org
Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
www.burlesonlinotype.com
www.burlesonhistory.com

intertypeman

Thanks for scanning in these articles from the January and February 1924 issues of Inland Printer about the development of the Linotype and earlier typesetting machines - fascinating stuff and much appreciated by a linecaster fancier like myself. Sorry to learn that you can't locate the March issue, but as and when you can find the time to scan more letterpress and hot metal stuff in to share with us we'll all much appreciate it. Bye for now and thanks, Tony

Mechanic

I just finished looking again at this item, I have managed to locate the second part of the  Origin and Development of the Linotype Machine in the  March 1924 edition of The Inland Printer.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes

Origin & Development of the Linotype (Parts 1 & 2)
Click to download full article as a PDF (3.6mb).

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚