Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Hammond Easy Kaster

Started by Nate@QPChouston, October 24, 2007, 06:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Nate@QPChouston

Hey, I work at my father's printshop in Houston and I am being trained on our intertype machine. We also have a Hammond East Kaster melting pot that has been collecting dust for years. I understand that the melting pot burns on natural gas, and I was wondering if there is an adapter for propane. It would be super cool if one of you fellas could help us, and also what chemicals do I need to add to make it pure.

Thanks,
Nathan

Dan Williams

Nathan:
I converted an old Nolan to butane some time ago. The orifice is much smaller for bottled gas due to its higher heating value. A 1/32" drill hole will get you into the ball-park, with some trimming of the pressure regulator and carburetor opening.
In order to change the orifice, you must disassemble the carburetor. Once the orifice is exposed you can determine the best approach: drilling-tapping-plugging-redrilling, or perhaps screwing on a brass cap and drilling the 1/32" through the end.
Now, it has been more than a dozen years since I experimented with this, but I distinctly recall having done the calculations, buying the off-shelf drillbit, and successfully making the conversion. Off chance it may have been a 1/16" hole but I doubt it.
Also, the stuff that you must use to purify lead is something called VITAFLUX, on internet auctions.
Say hello to your dad for me,
Dan Williams

Dusty

Hello
  I have recently come across a easy kaster and am trying to get information on equipment don,t know if it works but seem to be intact any info would be appreciated

Dave Hughes

Hi Dusty - among the many instruction manuals in the Metal Type library is one for the Typofix, you can get it here:

http://www.metaltype.co.uk/downloads/TypofixTypecasterInstructionManual.pdf

It's in PDF format, slightly rough round the edges, but it may be useful.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚