Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

The Burleson Linotype

Started by rag451, July 19, 2006, 02:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Patrick Leary

It appears you're off to a good start on your restoration project . . . the pix look encouraging. I have plenty of the Oscar Abel & Windsor Straw books, Mechanism of the Linotype and Intertype; contact me with a mailing address and I'll send you one or more. I've seen some info/pix on that Model 9 in Texas. Pay particular attention--that is really a rarity. There weren't all that many made, they were complex to run and even more difficult to maintain. Good luck on your noble project!

rag451

I haven't been on the forum much the last few months because work and school and volunteering pull me in too many directions! But, I think I'm back for awhile, and for those interested (or bored as the case might be), I thought I would post a little update on the Burleson Model 14.

Since October, I have completed disassembly of the front of the machine, including the line delivery slide. This was done due in part to my concern that, once the machine is put back together, I do not wish to have one of the parts not removed break or get stuck or otherwise damage or impact the operation of the machine. With all this removed I cleaned almost down to bare metal and then applied rusty metal primer and paint. The cams have received multiple coats of Naval Jelly, which has removed most of the rust. The overall machine, base, magazine frame, gears, springs, and the vise have been worked through, some parts reassembled, while others have been cleaned a little more thoroughly. The second elevator was removed in order to get the ejector out after the removal of the broken first elevator in November.

To those on this list, it may appear I'm going slow. Well, I kinda am. But for a novice who tries to go by the book as much as he can, my five to ten hours a week is mostly spent trying not to break something or to study in depth the various machine actions and understand their systematic impact to the health of the machine. Dan Williams has been a constant support, and I understand from him that the keyboard is coming along nicely in his shop down in Houston. I'm hopeful that during spring break in March I can reassemble the front of the machine in full and make great strides in installing the auxiliary magazine frame, distributor, and associated components.

Further information is on the website of the Burleson Heritage Foundation at http://www.burlesonheritage.org.

If you'd like to see more pictures, send me an e-mail.

Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
http://www.burlesonheritage.org
Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
www.burlesonlinotype.com
www.burlesonhistory.com

H. Hoeke

Great job!  This machine looks almost like new.  I have been a printer/linotype operator for over 4 decades and loved every minute of it. It was a secure occupation without ever having been unemployed. Operated models 5, 8, 14 and 31, plus presswork on Miehle Vertical, Miehle Flatbed, Kluge, Heidelberg platen. Worked in weeklies, dailies and job shops in Germany, Minnesota and California.

Quote from: SwissTypesetter on September 12, 2006, 06:17:48 AM
Hey Jim,

Quote from: Jim SalesI have some publications on the linotype and intertype I'm thinking of giving up if anyone is interested.

If you'd take a few minutes and list the titles, I'm sure the books find some interested new-owners!

Quote from: Jim SalesAre there any machines still being used commercially? Just curios.

With ours it's about 50/50.
We've got a Model 16 in our museum, and it's used for demonstration, but also we produce some small booklet from time to time with it, which is then sold in our shop. No big use, though, like weeklys or other regulars.

Regards, Andy

rag451

Well, I've just kept on working the last few months. The auxiliary magazine frame is assembled, as it the distributor. Most of the machine essentials are now in place. I installed the first elevator, ejector, and shaft on Saturday. I've slowed down a bit because I am also taking down a machine as I can borrow the manpower and tools to lift some of the heavier items, such as the old gas pot, off the machine. I have a "new" motor--basically an original Emerson that's been torn up and brilliantly restored by a friend of mine--in place and ready to go.

Dan Williams, a frequent haunt on this board, has finished the keyboard and will bring it up to Burleson in the coming weeks. The devil is in the details, to be sure, so though outwardly to a novice like me the linotype looks nearly complete; inside I know lurks many a hurdle yet to overcome. My goal, if it is not too lofty a one, is to have this machine up and running, minus casting of course, by the end of the summer.

I'll post pictures when I get a little more time! :)

This topic continues here:
http://www.metaltype.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=191.0
Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
www.burlesonlinotype.com
www.burlesonhistory.com

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚