Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Update to The Burleson Linotype

Started by rag451, September 06, 2007, 06:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

rag451

A couple of months ago I tried to post an update to the thread The Burleson Linotype, but by gosh I guess the forum software just didn't agree with me. I think I figured it out, though. I suppose I can post, but I can't add pictures!

Dan Williams, who posts on here frequently, came up twice this summer, once in June, and again just a few weeks ago. On his first trip up, he brought the fully restored keyboard. Together, he and I installed it and the keyrods and, with a motor hooked to the machine, managed to produce the first motor-driven movement of the keyboard in twenty-two years. During his second trip in late August, Dan worked hard to get the motor driving the cams. By the time he left, the cams were running around once every seven seconds.

Now I'm down to the final bit of installation, getting the systems to at least appear complete before diving into the world of adjustments--a tenth of an inch here, a hundredth there. There is electrical work left to do, including wiring up the lights. Eventually though, the 1924 Model 14 Linotype that was bought used in '51 for the Burleson newspaper will return to its former home, now Burleson's Heritage Visitors Center.

I am an amateur to all of this. I came to it by accident, however sticking with it has been anything but. I told Dan, 'I may be able to take apart and put a Linotype back together, but now I want to learn how to use it.' As I keep plugging along, perhaps to fix the pot--another long story--I keep in mind the people on Metal Type who grew up with these machines and spent their careers tinkering with them. My work will never measure up to theirs, but as I said to Dan, I'm not in this just to do it once. After I'm done I will try to find another Linotype to learn on, fix up, and work with.

Recent Pictures:

To see a video of the machine turning over click this link:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v718/rag451/Linotype/?action=view&current=081907_026.flv
Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
www.burlesonlinotype.com
www.burlesonhistory.com

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚