Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Italian Linotypes

Started by Mechanic, June 03, 2012, 02:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

Having discovered that the American Model 31 Linotype was manufactured in Italy under license I wondered what other machines  were made in Italy. I didn't have to look far as I found that Linotipia has a whole section devoted to Italian Linotypes. I have often visited the site, but only really looked at the pages in English.

The following is a Google translation of the Italian Linotype page. The translation is fairly crude but I'm sure you'll get the gist. There are some very impressive machines. The machine pictured above has six magazines. It appears to have a Star Parts quadder and it is operated from tape by a Star Parts Autosetter.

http://tinyurl.com/7mjbc8v

Or if you understand Italian.
http://www.linotipia.it/italiane.htm

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Mechanic

I looked at this site the other day and found that Linotipa.it no longer exists. I'm finding this to be the case with many sites related to hot metal.
The six magazine automated Linotype was the swan song for Italian Linotype.
As a last Hurrah From Italian Linotype I thought I would post this photo of another late entry of automated Linotypes .  Note the apparatus on the galley. I believe this was a device for more accurate trimming of the Linotype slugs.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Bruce Anderton

This looks very much like one of the "New Line" models produced by Mergenthaler Linotype GmbH from the mid-1960s, so I'm sure that is the basis of this machine, no doubt with detail variations to suit the Italian market.

In earlier years, when Italian machines were based on English models, some of the main castings were in fact produced in the foundry at Altrincham, then shipped out to Italy for final assembly.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚