Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Mystery Type Font

Started by John B Easson, May 11, 2013, 04:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John B Easson

I have just been given this odd font of type - the question is, just what was it for? No, I've not done anything to the photo, it's really like that.
The only clues are those odd extra characters: a number of large plus signs, and some small zeros (or Os) in superior and inferior positions. I'm also curious as to who made them - there's no pinmark, and I've never seen such a font listed. It's type-high, and 18 point. Presumably it was for use in connection with some trade or industry, but if so, which?
(I assume printers will of course notice it's reverse-reading when printed! My workshop sign is 'Press Here' but reverse-reading, so I'm going to be using it for that.)
UPDATE: Thanks for suggestions - by chance I had a visitor today who has used such type! Apparently there were only three sizes of Franklin Gothic made this way, and were used on a Rejafix hand platen to print onto a rubber pad. Scientific glassware items were then rolled on the pad to pick up the ink (presumably a special one), which was then fired to harden it onto the glass. Blocks were used for measurement scales, etc. There may of course have been other uses.

Dave Hughes

I tried getting a clue from the characters that had been inked!

A C E O and a few numbers. Looks like a couple of the hyphens have been used as well.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

AlanB

Right reading type is used on offset letterpress machines like the Rejafix. Or you could print on the back of a translucent substrate.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚