Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Saving Betty

Started by Mechanic, April 04, 2013, 12:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

This man appears to have fallen in love with a Linotype he has named Betty. He is desperate to save her from the scrap heap.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/want-save-linotype-machine-saving-betty-261413/

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

tjtrower

Looks like a two magazine Model 31 to me -- definately a Blue Streak, with saw and I believe a quadder.

Mechanic

Betty is an early model 8. Dating I would guess from the early 1930's or late 20's.  It has an old Cuttler-Hammer pot control, the old style knife block, and magazine lifting handles. It does have a hydraquadder fitted, that came on the market in the late 1950's. The Mohr saw control is part of the Hydraquadder attachment. Except for the missing magazines and slug tray it looks in good condition.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Mechanic

The young man who wants to save Betty has posted a video on Youtube.

Operation Linotype Rescue

I read his posting more carefully and found a web page he has created. On the page is a photo of the name plate. The machine was shipped from the factory in 1920. There is an "R" stamped after the serial number. I understand that new machines were often had an "R" stamped on the name plate and the price lowered to compete with Intertype which was giving Mergenthaler some stiff competition.

CLICK IMAGE FOR A LARGER VIEW

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Mechanic

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚