Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Knox-Adel type gauge

Started by leithp, June 16, 2011, 02:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

leithp

It was a very long time ago, about 33 years, but I'm sure I had a metal type gauge that was made by Knox-Adel. I think it came from Chicago. I've done a fair bit of Googling, but no luck. Any knowledge?

Dave Hughes

Was there anything special about it?

Where there any distinguishing features?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

leithp

Hi Dave. It was a silver (steel), not brass, gauge with black calibration in pica and centimetres, not inches. It was very similar to a Wimble gauge. It had a rounded end with "hooks" for grabbing type.

leithp

Very similar, but now that I think of it, I remember that it did not have black calibration marks. Maybe having an old Wimble gauge on my desk made me think that. I'm sure that it was a steel gauge, similar to the images on the site you linked. The reason I want to know if there was ever a Knox-Adel gauge is because I was having a conversation about the hot metal days with a printer friend. The conversation made me remember that I used to have what I'm pretty sure was a Knox-Adel gauge from Chicago, but lost it in somewhere along the way in my newspaper career. It had great sentimental value because it the first gauge I was given. I doubt it will ever resurface, but it did have an amusing engraving on the back: "This is Bob's gauge, keep your bloody hands off!"

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚