Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

HAND SET TYPE

Started by mervyn, March 06, 2010, 04:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

mervyn

Is everyone familiar with
http://www.arionpress.com/mandh/docs/MHcatalogue.pdf

I just found out about it and it makes me want to pick up the old composing stick again.

Merv

Dave Hughes

Thanks for that Merv.

I liked the look of the Cooper Tooled but don't recall seeing it around in the Letterpress days.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Jeff Zilles [jeffo]

Wimbles Foundry version of Cooper, at least in Australia, was called Wentworth.

I was quite familiar with and a frequent user of both the Standard Bold and the Hand-tooled versions of this elegant 'muscle' typeface in the 'days that wuz.'

Though I haven't spotted it or used it in the hand-set form for years I believe the cases are still at the back of the 'Cave'.  The Standard in sizes from 12 or 14 to 72 and the Hand-tooled from 24 to 60 or 72  --  A pleasant and treasured dusty relic.

Thanks for the memory Dave  --  jeffo

vintageservices

I bet you've got cases of it Jeffo.  I've got Wentworth in 18, 24, 30 and 36 I think - too late to go up the shed and have a look but I know there are 4 cases there.  It was used here in the West by a large jobbing printer - now being run by the third generation and not a bit of letterpress left in their works.  Geoff

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚