Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Intertype Quadder Info

Started by Laurie, July 27, 2013, 12:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Laurie

I have been working on a very late model C4 and it does not have the standard quadder that was on early C4's. The side lever from the main cam block does not move can you please give me any advice or information about it.

mikefrommontana

While we could all private message you, it might be more useful to:

See pictures of the quadding mechanism.

Know the machine serial number--as "later" is not really descriptive.  I don't think that Intertype changed the design of the mechanical quadder after 1950, but perhaps they did.  You also may have the autotabber mechanism, which was built upon the mechanical quadder.

The most likely source of jamming, however, is metal from a squirt getting into the rack/operating space of the quadder, inside of the vise(?) head and down into the operating racks therein.   Again, pictures.

Ron

Intertype DID make a "new and revised" Autospacer that was used on later "gray" model machines.  Had three F2s with them and they were a pain.  I believe that at the end of Intertype they were using Star quadders which tells yiu something about the "new and revised" Autospacer!

Dave Hughes

Laurie has sent in some pics of the Intertype he's having problems with:

Click the pictures to take a closer look.

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dave Hughes

Laurie's still not solved his problem.

Anyone know if there's an instruction book for later-model Intertypes available online?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

Here are 18 photos of pages from my 1962 Intertype manual related to the quadder. I don't know much about the Intertype quadder as I never worked on an Intertype until after I retired. You should be able to right click on the photo to copy it, after you have clicked on the thumb nail to display the large photo.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

one stop print

I have in my workshop 3 Intertype Machines 1 American and 2 English. Could I see some clear photos of the machine in Question

I have owned a large number of Intertypes from Models  'Bs' to the model machines including a Monarch (which had a Star Quadder) all my Quadders were the same.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚