Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Author Topic: Volunteers Needed to Print Letterpress at Glastonbury Festival (UK)  (Read 3231 times)

Simon Rigby

We're planning to install a Heidelberg cylinder press and an Intertype machine at the Glastonbury Festival this year, and would love to hear from anyone who would like to get involved.

The Intertype is currently being serviced by Mike at Linecasting.com and should be ready for us to start trying out from around 13th May.

We'd love to hear from anyone who has expertise or resources to contribute, particularly experienced Intertype operators.  We also need to aquire a fair amount of the appropriate type metal, so would be interested to hear from anyone who can lend or sell us the quantity we need.

Please feel free to contact me by email or telephone 07580 770 883 any time for more details.

Many thanks,

Simon Rigby

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
I've already been in touch with Simon about this, and I've got to say that I am very disappointed to say that I won't be able to attend.

I had already booked a family holiday that unfortunately fell on the same dates.

I wish the project every success, and, if the experiment is repeated next year, I shall definitely be operating the Intertype!

I'm hoping to bring you pictures and coverage of the event on Metal Type.
Join the UK's best craft beer club and get £12 off your first case - Claim Now

Exclusive Letterpress Gifts - Visit the Metal Type Zazzle Store ★ Framed Typography - £15 - Take a Look

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
Glastonbury Free Press - Urgent Invite 25-27 May (UK)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 05:02:21 PM »
Simon is now organising an "open house" event in Bath, for people wanting to become involved in this project.

Further info here:
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/the-glastonbury-free-press

Click image to see full size:

Exclusive Letterpress Gifts - Visit the Metal Type Zazzle Store ★ Framed Typography - £15 - Take a Look

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
Bit of an update on this project, via ITN News, UK.

That's an Intertype with side magazines! I'm really sorry I'm not going to get there.

from ITV Westcountry on Vimeo.

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
Re: Volunteers Needed to Print Letterpress at Glastonbury Festival (UK)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »
Things are taking shape for the Glastonbury project:

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:01:29 PM »
Things seem to be going well at the Glastonbury Free Press.

Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis visits the press:

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »
The Glastonbury experiment was not without some major problems, but seems to have been an overall success:

Here's what Terry Wright had to say:

We are up and running at Worthy Farm after a difficult and challenging experience to get here. The machinery is good - the Heidelberg cylinder is a beauty and in really good condition. It came from Belgium and not a rebuild but a very clean underused machine. We have had to play with packings as Belgian type was 0.5mm higher.  The Intertype had a major problem on the first day when the main motor burnt out and had to be rewound locally.

The organiser had a difficult time in the set up period as he was not aware that the machines must be on good concrete and was quite prepared to put them on decking on the grass. We did point out that they weigh heavy and would probably sink in the Glastonbury mud!  Consequently they sat under tarpaulins for over a week while the concrete was laid. The machines were in a unit in Bath prior to coming to the farm and should have been tested right up to a trial newspaper before coming out to Pilton.

Anyway now running and a huge amount of interest from the festival goers. We printed 64000 of the red masthead last week and now running tonight's edition through tonight and folding on my 1940's hand-fed Camco folder for the morning readers. We shall be stopping to see the Rolling Stones this evening though, however many we have printed by then.