Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Adana 8X5 Hot Foil Restoration

Started by Dave Hughes, February 06, 2013, 07:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

As some of you may know, I recently acquired an Adana 8X5 table-top platen press that had been converted to hot foil operation.

Click pictures to enlarge:

As you can see from the picture, the machine has a thermometer at the top and a thermostatic control knob at the bottom.

The machine's heating element had burnt out, but the Ebay seller included a replacement. Here are the two elements:

The larger element on the right has burnt out the smaller one is a replacement.

The back of the type bed has been milled to accommodate the heating element:

The replacement element is much smaller, but as I am only planning to use the press for a couple of lines of type to customise products, I positioned the replacement element in the centre of the recess.

I didn't take a picture but the element was padded with some kind of special cloth (possibly glass fibre?) and then a metal plate held down with a couple of metal bars.

You can see the screw holes for the bars on this picture, the copper item is the sensor for the thermometer which I placed quite close, but not on top of, the heating element.

So far, so good. The machine has been put back together with the replacement element. It has been cleaned up and oiled, and all seems well.

When I switch the machine on, things seem to work OK, but there is a little smoke coming from the cloth at the back. Is there another material that could perform that function?

The machine also lacks a carriage system for the foil rolls. There are some nuts and bolts at the side of the press bed that seem to have been added for that purpose. As I'm only planning on using the press for customising a few items, I'm guessing a couple of spindles, and an empty take-up spool with a handle to turn it would suffice.

I am finding it very hard to find instructions for what is now referred to as "traditional" hot foling - there is a new process that seems to have taken over.

Does anyone have any books on the subject? Perhaps a carriage system for an Adana? Or any advice in general?

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dave Hughes

I'm pleased to announce that, following some expert advice, I have now managed to get the machine in working condition.

First test print can be seen below.

It's not a perfect print, you can see that the foil transfer was not complete on the O and I of "foil."

However, after making an adjustment to the "dwell" time I was able to produce perfect results after filming.

Adana 8X5 Hot Foil Press

Graham

I have a label feeder for Adanas here, which would be easy to use for foil feed if you are interested.

01692 582 292

Graham

Dave Hughes

That sounds interesting, Graham. Will have to give you a ring tomorrow (Sun.) - just on my way out to work at the moment

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚