Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Lagonda

Started by Roy Bowker, February 01, 2013, 11:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Roy Bowker

Anyone got any information on the British built Lagonda platen? There was one in the print shop of Spicers Ltd (where I was apprenticed). It was covered up and I never saw it working, although I think my mentor (Aurthur Jenkins) did let me "play" with it once!

Dave Hughes

It's certainly a very unique and interesting-looking machine if the example below is the machine you are referring to:

Click image for better view

There is an article taken from the British Printer, 1945 here:

http://britishletterpress.co.uk/presses/platen-presses/lagonda-platen-press/
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Roy Bowker

Thank you very much Dave. A nice bit of information, which brought back memories of looking at the Lagonda and wishing I could have a go at it. Wish the British Printer was still going, remember it well. Ta again

Graham Pressman

Mark and I have been given a Lagonda platen by Gary Arber. We are moving it here in the next couple of weeks. Anybody wanting to see it running, when we get it here, is welcome to visit

Dave Hughes

Thanks for the offer Graham, it would be great to see this press running.

Any chance of a short video when you get it up and running?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Graham Pressman

You can be confidant of seeing a video of it running as soon as it is here. We have already tried to film it where it stands. We set up our camera on a tripod and Gary traced to old, disconnected wires to the mains. The main 3 phase switch was thrown. At least 3 small fires started around the machine room as rotted insulation failed and 3ph fuses blew in a moment.

Now it will have to wait till we have it here in Happisburgh.

Graham Pressman

When we have it running, visitors will be able to see it at :-

Catseye Press
The Bungalow, Cart Gap Road,
Happisburgh,
Norwich
Norfolk
NR12 0QL

Visitor would do well to telephone on 01692 582 292 to make arrangements, before coming.

Graham Pressman

Gary Arber's Lagonda in his basement machine room.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚