Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Intertype Fotosetter Memories?

Started by Mr. Wheatley, January 09, 2013, 12:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mr. Wheatley

I am working on a project about the first phototypesetter the Intertype Fotosetter.

Does anyone around the UK (or anywhere else) have any info - memories - stuff -  about this machine.

I have amassed lots of material, but am still looking for more!

Mechanic

The Intertype Fotosetter trade mark was registered in Australia 22nd of April 1948. The only Fotosetter in Australia that I had anything to do with was installed at John Fairfax and Sons in Sydney in 1956. It was installed by George Harrison, Intertype Engineer not the Beatle. In 1970 a Linofilm was installed but the Photocomposing Dept continued to use the Fotosetter for a number of years. Fairfax donated the Fotosetter to the Powerhouse Museum in 1984. This was the same year that The Sydney Morning Herald switched from hot metal to cold type.

The web site gives details of the trade mark.

http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant/jelenko-jf-and-co/trademarks/89837/

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dan Williams

I have been involved with this project, locally. But its taking time to clean it up, dust it off and freshen up the paint. It would be fun to see if it works, but thats a bit far down on the schedule.

Dave Hughes

It looks like the Fotosetter evolved over the years. The grey one at the top of this article (in a museum in Manchester, UK) seems a lot more modern than the one Dan is involved with restoring.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚