Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

etaoin and Linotype The Film

Started by Mechanic, October 30, 2012, 01:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

My copy of Linotype The Film DVD arrived yesterday along with a small booklet that gave an overview of Mergenthaler and his machines and other pertinent information related to Linotype and the making of the film.  On reading through the booklet I found a line that contained the inevitable text that should not be there, but was. It is our old friends "etaion shrdlu" along with most of the lowercase sorts. I felt it added some authenticity to the publication. Maybe the line is not there by accident.

I have included a copy of the page.

I enjoyed the movie. It was well worth the purchase price. A real trip down memory lane.

CLICK IMAGE FOR A LARGER VIEW

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

That's a real nice touch!

Of course, to be nit-picky, the operator would usually have made a mistake in the line before filling it up with etaoin shrdlu, etc.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

tjtrower

Doug Wilson tossed that in as a homage to the use of etaoin shrdlu by operators (he first saw me doing that some years ago) but as you guys have pointed out, since he is not an operator his use was slightly improper.

Still -- a nice touch.

As I understand, sales of the DVD are going quite well -- and when the initial run is sold out, we have stored in the shop another few thousand insert covers and booklets (they were printed by one of my customers, and the Linotype guys needed a place to store all of them).

Graeme How

Linotype The Film; the book and the linotype slug were worth every dollar. An excellent film covering the  machine and the people of yesteryear, and the people of today who were and are part of the linotype saga. The film bought back many treasured memories of the years I operated the Intertypes at the Wairoa Star here in New Zealand. I'm the only staff member employed there now who knows what a linotype is. While the film has many highlights, the one that stood out for me was when Carl Schlesinger was kissed on the head by Marilyn Munro when he showed her the operation of a linotype when she toured the New York Times.
Graeme How

Dave Hughes

I'm feeling left out in this discussion  :(

I haven't seen the film yet, I've held off buying a copy because I'm pretty sure that a relative has seen it as the "ideal Christmas present" and got one wrapped up in fancy paper for me to be presented on Dec. 25.

I may have to buy one now, and just have two!  ;)

Dave Hughes

tjtrower

And has it arrived yet?  (Never fear that you will be laughed at for having two copies -- I own at least six of them!)

Dave Hughes

Yes, It has arrived Tim. It didn't take long at all, I think it arrived here in the UK in less than a week.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, watched it all through now, including the extras!

For me, after running this website for twelve years now, it was nice to put some faces to names of people who have been participating on this site more or less from day one.

Some real characters, Larry Raid, Dave Seat, etc. It is one thing to read about what they do, Dave Seat's travelling repair service, Larry's Linotype University, quite another to see film of them actually doing it. Dave's very understanding wife, Larry's untidy back yard, etc.

All in all, a brilliant film, I would recommend it to anyone interested in letterpress.

Graeme How

I see Linotype The Film is on a couple of movie websites where you can watch the film for free. For obvious reasons I am not going to name the sites as I paid good money for my DVD.
Graeme How
New Zealand

tjtrower

Graeme,

As a participant in the film and as a friend of the director (and crew) I would like to pass this information along to them -- I've a feeling they will not be pleased. If you would be so kind as to drop me an email at tjtrower@NOSPAMswbell.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending) I would really appreciate it.

Tim

Mechanic

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

tjtrower

Oh, my -- I had no idea that the Linotype could be a chick magnet!

Dave Hughes

That film has a lot to answer for!  :D

In think in kudos terms being a Linotype operator is now right up there with being the driver of a steam engine or working in an Apple shop!  ;D

tjtrower

I know that this is an older thread, but it seems an appropriate place for a bit of news concerning one of the participants in the movie.

Early on Sunday morning, November 3, 2013, my father, Guy Trower, passed away after a short illness.  He was eighty-nine years old.  Dad began learning the printing trade when he was fourteen as an after school job, and quickly was learning the Linotype and working as a compositor. 

In Linotype: The Film, dad is the first person on camera as he sits down at our Model 5 and turns it on, then has the first line in the film. 

What we didn't know then was that at a later shoot at the print shop, dad was filmed as he ran a Linotype for the last time (any footage of him working on the machine is from this day of filming); this was just before his health took a turn for the worse.  There is also a clip of him playing the musical saw on the extras portion of the DVD.

He is survived by my mom (age eighty-seven) and six children; services will be on Thursday, and I will be putting a Linotype mat in his hand before burial . . .

Dave Hughes

My condolences Tim, and thanks for sharing.

The mat in the hand, a nice touch.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚