Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Linotype the Film now out on DVD

Started by Dave Hughes, October 16, 2012, 11:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

For those of you who were unable to get to a screening of "Linotype: The Film" the DVD or BlueRay is now available for purchase at: http://www.linotypefilm.com/

Just to whet your appetite, here's a video of the cover being foil stamped.

Foil Stamping the DVD covers of "Linotype: The Film" on a Kluge platen press by Tim Trower of White Star Service Company in Springfield, Missouri.

Foil Stamping DVD Covers of "Linotype: The Film"
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

tjtrower

This project has been a lot of fun to be a part of -- the director (then a college student) wandered into my shop one day, saw my Blue Streak Model 5, and fell in love with the machine. This documentary is the result.

We foil stamped the covers two weeks ago on a 12 x 18 Kluge; the balance of the printing was done at the plant of one of my customers.

You will enjoy this film!

Dave Hughes

Thanks, Tim.

It's great to see this two-year project coming to fruition  :D

listohan

I have just downloaded Linotype - the film from the iTunes store. I came across typesetting machines (Intertype as it happens) in 1955 at the age of 10 in a Queensland country newspaper. Subsequently, I have been using the internet pretty much since it went commercial. Pages on a Mac is now my desktop publishing medium.

My 92 year old mother despite, taking an interest in the world around her, has no use for the internet. I am hoping my one year old grandson when ten will be as fascinated by the tinkling, clanking and whirring of typesetting machines, even on a video, as I was by the real thing. Sadly, I doubt it.

I feel a bit like a member of an endangered species.

Dave Hughes

I tend to agree.

Although the film does a brilliant job of describing the huge impact of mechanical typesetting I feel that the current generation of youngsters, who find it difficult to imagine the world pre-internet, will just see it as "ancient history."

That's a sweeping generalisation, of course, and there are examples in the film of members of the younger generation who have been captivated by the machine. But I guess they will remain a small minority.

listohan

It helps if you are able to see, hear and smell the real thing. There is no substitute for that.

I guess the same goes for steam engines.

Howard Gorin

I agree with listohan.  There is no substitute for the real thing.  I participated in the movie and saved two Linotype machines from the scrapper.  Incidentally, I am also fascinated in steam engines and have saved some of those as well.  Maybe I have an obsession with large iron objects

Graham Aked

A trip down memory lane .......................
I have just watched the film, and I am not ashamed to admit I watched the credits go by with a tear in my eye.
Such an interesting film, which not only educated me about the history of the linotype, but also brought a little smile to my face, as I remembered the times I jumped out of my chair to avoid the splashes, and the burnt fingers from trying to squeeze the last out of that block of flux.
It's 6 years or so since I fired up the linotype, but I promise you this, next time I have a quiet spell at work she is going to get a good clean and workout!
Thankyou to everyone involved in the making this film, you really have made my day!

Dave Hughes

Only six years ago! I'm jealous.

What model do you have, I see you're just round the corner from me.  ;)

Graham Aked

It's a model 48 Dave, and yeah, only 6 years ago since she was clattering along!
It served it's purpose right up until about 1996, being used for day to day jobbing, but when my beige Mac came through the door it turned our printshop upside down, I remember working overtime for two weeks solid to produce a local annual football handbook using Lino & Handset, now the same job is set & signed off in a couple of days (without overtime) such a shame to see it gathering dust in the corner though, and after watching the film I do intend to get her up & running soon, even though it will only be for my own satisfaction.
Ah yes, you are just up the road from me, if ever you are passing & want to see my baby, just give me a shout, you can help me clean the magazines even  :D
Regards,
Graham.

Dave Hughes

I may well be taking you up on that offer Graham.

Must say, the machine looks in pretty good condition.

Do you have many fonts/mats?

Graham Aked

You are more than welcome to call in Dave, but please give me fair warning, I'm a 1 man band now and often have to lock up shop & hit the road visiting customers.
The machine is in quite good condition, it's just 6 years of dust/setoff spray that makes her look shabby to me, probably because I've seen her many times at her best ...... back in my apprentice days it was my job to clean & polish her when we had a quiet spell.
As for fonts, I have Metro 6, 8, 10 & 12 pt, also Times Roman 6, 8 & 10 pt for the Linotype, also have about 60 cases of various handset type along with all the furniture/leading/rules.
Still use the handset type now & again for short runs of envelopes on the Platen!

Dave Hughes

Probably be in the new year now. Looking forward to it. Will ring to make arrangements.

Thanks Graham

Graham Aked

OK, no problem Dave.
I look forward to it also .............. I had better get cleaning  :D

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚