Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

German Type Casting Tool

Started by Dave Hughes, August 04, 2012, 01:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Interesting post on Flickr. It looks like it's in superb condition for it's age.

Here's what the poster said about it:

PRIMITIVE GERMAN TYPECASTING TOOL WITH HANDWRITTEN MANUAL

I got this single letter typecasting tool from a family in St. Gallen. They've had it from their family letterpress printshop which closed down somewhen in the late 80ies.

It is a tool with which you could copy some single large bodied leadtype sorts. In the handwritten manual it says: You would cast a lead-matrix (YES! LEAD-MATRIX...) from a piece of type. It says: Blacken the letter first with an oil lamp, then cast a matrix – the lead shouldn't be to hot. Then you use a oil-lamp to blacken your fresh cast matrix again and off you go casting a letter...

It says further that they bought this tool somewhen in the 1920ies from Berlin! It is still in its original box! It also says that it works pretty well, if you get trained a bit... haha

I didnt try it out yet! But I am really happy that this old men wrote a short manual before he packed it up to archive it in the late 1980ies!

IMG_2255 by Dafi Kühne, on Flickr
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

jim crichton

Further to yesterday's post regarding PRIMITIVE GERMAN TYPECASTING TOOL.  This machine is called a Typofix Typecaster and the manual shows Alfred Kopinski, Representant, Mulhouse-Haut-Rhin as the agent.

Two or three years ago I posted ten photos of the machine and two photos of the manual. 

These photographs do not show on your photograph section.

Jim C.

Dave Hughes

Not quite sure what happened to the pictures Jim.

We've got a PDF of the manual in the Library.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚