Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Author Topic: Letterpress Business Opportunity  (Read 1345 times)

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
Letterpress Business Opportunity
« on: October 21, 2011, 11:11:53 PM »
Advertising on Ebay at the moment.

What looks like a letterpress "business opportunity"

A fair amount of hyperbole has been used in the description, in my opinion.

150,000 US dollars is the asking price, call me cynical, perhaps but I think it looks like someone may be planning a retirement!

Manufacturing new (table-top)  presses for sale at 3,500 US dollars each!

Is there a market for these presses?

Join the UK's best craft beer club and get £12 off your first case - Claim Now

Exclusive Letterpress Gifts - Visit the Metal Type Zazzle Store ★ Framed Typography - £15 - Take a Look

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
Re: Letterpress Business Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 05:42:45 PM »
I thought this part of the description was quite interesting:

One of the biggest boosts to letterpress printing comes from new technology. Instead oh needing to set hundreds, thousands of small type, backwards in a chase, a frame which holds the type, it is now possible to write out the desired text on a computerís monitor, to make changes, and import graphics, etc, then when its exactly as desired, press a button to print the plate, made of polypropylene, and with all the detail , raised letters, etc, just as if the type had been hand set. And, the cost of this plate is very small, and the yield is very substantial.

As I'm considering dusting off my old Adana 8X5 the photopolymer idea seems attractive.

Does it come at a reasonable price though?

The guy said he had four and a half years experience in the letterpress industry!  ;D
Join the UK's best craft beer club and get £12 off your first case - Claim Now

Exclusive Letterpress Gifts - Visit the Metal Type Zazzle Store ★ Framed Typography - £15 - Take a Look