Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Last Ludlow Production Date?

Started by Dave Hughes, August 04, 2011, 09:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

I've been contacted by a student with the following enquiry:

QuoteHi.  I am a uni student doing museums studies as an intern in a Museum of Printing in NSW.  I am trying to establish how long the Ludlow Typograph was in production.  I have a manual that states a particular Model M was still made in 1966.n  Your information states that "In 1911 the Ludlow typograph was put onto the market".  Are you able to provide me with any more information before the 8th of August.

Anyone any ideas?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

David Boelter

Last Ludlow Model M built in the US was 1971 ( 18500). 
Contact Dave Seat @ Hot Metal Services about  the  history of The Ludlow  Co after 1971.

Dave Hughes

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

dboelter

I did a more research on the last production date on Ludlow Typesetters. The information I am going  to pass along is  conversions I had from Jim Parrish, Earl Ebel and a Ludlow Industries LTD Model N brochure from mid 80's.
Jim Parrish was author of the Ludlow Trouble  Shooting Guide and a factory trained ludlow serviceman.
Earl Ebel was the America's Pacific Northwest's regional  Ludlow Salesman and agent from the late 40's till sometime in the 80's.
Earl Ebel I Met in 1974 and Jim Parrish in 1981.
In my first post I stated on the Hot Metal Services Ludlow website serial number date records on the last Ludlow Model M built in the USA ( Serial Number 18500 ) was 1971.
All new Ludlows and  Elrods were built in England after 1971. I have no record of their serial  numbers.
  The history is in 1971 or 1972 The Ludlow Typegraph Co. went  bankrupt.
Ludlow Industries(U.K)LTD, bought the factory at auction
and was moved to Hertford, England.
The Ludlow name was bought by Tom Murphy. Tom then continued to to use the original name Ludlow Typograph Co in the USA and was one Ludlow Industries LTD  new machines along some former Ludlow sales & serviceman.
All this said, I came across a Ludlow Industries LTD. Brouchure on the Model N Ludlow after yesterdays post.
In the brouchure the full Ludlow typesetting system is offered. You could buy either a new Model M or N. Also offered was factory rebuilt L's or M's.
To date this brouchure on the back of the brochure Jim Parrish is listed as Ludlow Idaho Ludlow agent along with others. I know for a fact Jim's indepentant Ludlow repair business started  in late 1981, as his first service call was to my Ludlow. This should place the date of the brouchure some years after 1981 because it took Jim a couple years to get his business up & going to gain the credibilty to become a Ludlow agent.
Anyone have any of the history of Ludlow Industries LTD in Hertford, England?
The last Ludlow Machine was most likley built in the late 80's in England.
Dave Boelter
Central Lithograph
Seattle, WA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚