Join the Metal Type Mailing List to get Forum updates

Main Menu
Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon

Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Knox-Adel type gauge

Started by leithp, June 16, 2011, 01:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leithp

It was a very long time ago, about 33 years, but I'm sure I had a metal type gauge that was made by Knox-Adel. I think it came from Chicago. I've done a fair bit of Googling, but no luck. Any knowledge?

Dave Hughes

Was there anything special about it?

Where there any distinguishing features?
Get email notifications of new posts on this Forum - Join the Mailing List
--::--
10-Minute Forum Training, learn about the New Features - Read this Post

leithp

Hi Dave. It was a silver (steel), not brass, gauge with black calibration in pica and centimetres, not inches. It was very similar to a Wimble gauge. It had a rounded end with "hooks" for grabbing type.

leithp

Very similar, but now that I think of it, I remember that it did not have black calibration marks. Maybe having an old Wimble gauge on my desk made me think that. I'm sure that it was a steel gauge, similar to the images on the site you linked. The reason I want to know if there was ever a Knox-Adel gauge is because I was having a conversation about the hot metal days with a printer friend. The conversation made me remember that I used to have what I'm pretty sure was a Knox-Adel gauge from Chicago, but lost it in somewhere along the way in my newspaper career. It had great sentimental value because it the first gauge I was given. I doubt it will ever resurface, but it did have an amusing engraving on the back: "This is Bob's gauge, keep your bloody hands off!"

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview