Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Ludlow Cooling System

Started by Dave Hughes, June 03, 2011, 12:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

I've recently been contacted by Donald Stott, with this question about the Ludlow Model M - My money's on water, but does anyone know for sure?

Here's what Donald asked:

QuoteI am a volunteer at the Bradford Industrial Museum's Printing Gallery and we have acquired a Model M Ludlow caster with a refrigerated cooling unit,
We are trying to find out what coolant was used. We believe it could have been water, but not being able to contact the donor to find out we are askiing around.
Can anyone help.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

Water is correct Dave, distilled is recommended. The URL below is for the instruction manual for the model M Ludlow. It can be read online or down loaded. Item 6 under assembly refers to the water.

I seem to recall adding soluble oil to the water, but I could be wrong, It is over 50 years since I worked on a Ludlow

http://www.archive.org/details/LudlowTypographModelMManual

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

And, of course, not forgetting there's plenty of Ludlow documents in the Metal Type Library.

jhenry

The Model M machine did use water with a soluable oil in it to help prevent corrosion. I have used water pump additive as a substitute. It is available at automotive supply stores.

Dave Hughes

Thanks for your input John, I'm moving this topic to "Solved Problems" now,

Autospacer

I realise this has been solved, but I would like to confirm/inform that we used soluble oil, the same as engineers use for cooler-lubricants on lathes, etc, in the recent restoration of our Model M Ludlow at our museum. This coolant-oil mixture was recommended by a retired Linotype mechanic friend. I can't recall the exact mix, but it was sufficient to leave the mix with the typical white milky look.

WarnerDit

Im not sure what you mean by a breather system but looking at the parts diagram for the cooling system it appears to be self bleeding.

John Cornelisse

I use a separate cooling system stemming from a scraped ludlow-machine to pump the water around for two Monotype composition casters.

Here I added a few liters of cooling fluid used in motorcars to prevent freezing. This limits also possible corrosion in the systems.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚