Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Miehle 00

Started by rag451, June 23, 2006, 01:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

rag451

What do y'all know about the Miehle 00? In my hometown of Burleson, the newspaper, The Burleson Dispatcher, maintained two C&Ps, a Model 14 Linotype, and a Miehle 00 book press. Just from what I have heard, the Miehle was old as the hills. To the best of my knowledge when the paper came to an end in '85, the C&Ps and the Miehle were sold off either for scrap or to some other shop.

I'm curious to know if anyone has experience using a Miehle 00, knows what one is, so on and so forth.

Thanks,

Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
www.burlesonlinotype.com
www.burlesonhistory.com

Mr. Bob

Hi Bob:  Jim Fisher here (pen name Mr. Bob) (just circumstance).  I assume (hate that word)
that the Miehle you are referring to isn't anything like any of the Miehle Verticals that have been around in various forms or is it.  Now you have me curious also. We have a (very old) Miehle at work now which is coated with at least 1/4" paper dust & etc. and I've heard stories that it used to run, but haven't seen that myself.  Hope you find out something about this - will watch to see if anything developes!

rag451

I have seen a couple of pictures, but have none in my posession, of the old thing. It was at least 12 feet long, perhaps 8 foot high, with a step at the back flank. It was a book press, as far as I am told, used for 80+ years to print a newspaper. It's not like the Miehle Verticals I've seen in a lot of photographs - Bear in mind, I've never been around them, in person.

Robert
Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
www.burlesonlinotype.com
www.burlesonhistory.com

Dan Williams

Miehle has been a major US press manufacturer for over a hundred years. They made two excellent modern versions of letterpresses during the 50s to 1960s. Their large flatbeds were incredible. They implemented stream feed on those later presses (I saw one in person at Texas A&M in the early eighties---they were still using it then!!!) The other Miehle (still popular, almost ubiquitous) was the vertical. The British manufacturer Holmes made a very similiar type of vertical flatbed.
No mystery that there were previous generations of earlier Miehle...their excellent reputation had to stand on something.
Lately, the organisation has been known as Miehle-Goss-Dexter, and they specialized in very large offset presses.

Dave Hughes

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

aaron

The Miehle Verticals was a great fast press. Used on in the mid 60's. However, seeing it was 12x18 chase size full of lead type I could pick it the chase to put into the press as you had to raise the chase over the feed table. So, I was moved to learning the Intertype where i stayed for many years.
The Miehle flat beds, I only saw a few at a very large print shop here in Houston, Texas.

rag451

Yes, very interesting...

At one time I heard the Miehle 00 in Burleson was one of two in the State of Texas. The newspaper in Burleson, as of 1983, was one of the final six newspapers publishing with hot type. Thanks for the responses on Miehle. I'm kind of cunfused in that, with Linotype at least, there are certain models, instantly identified, whereas the Miehle was... what? I've seen a few pictures of the one in Burleson and had the '00' from the family of the woman who owned and operated the paper. I have not, however, ever found reference online to that particular model.

Robert
Robert Griffith
Burleson, Texas
www.burlesonlinotype.com
www.burlesonhistory.com

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚