Metal Type Forum

Metal Type: Home | Photos | Stories | Downloads | Forum | Classifieds

Author Topic: Glossary of Printing Trade Terms - Vol. 2  (Read 4723 times)

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
Glossary of Printing Trade Terms - Vol. 2
« on: February 21, 2011, 01:33:01 PM »
Some time ago George Clark submitted an excellent article to Metal Type entitled:
A Glossary of Printing Trade Terms

Although the article was very informative, I'm sure the list of terms was far from exhaustive.

I'm proposing adding a Second Volume of Printing Trade Terms, hopefully with suggestions made here.

David Minney recently contacted me with a couple of suggestions:

"Bang-out": When a person retires the composing staffs bang/hit the machines or stones or anything made of metal (which is just about everything), while the retiring member is paraded through the composing area; it used to be very noisy.

Con: The continuity shift which occurred after the first edition had gone.

I also have a couple of suggestions that were not included in George's original list.

"Line Cut" -A call made by the Father of the Chapel to indicate it was time to finish work early. Usually shouted when a "Job and finish" task has been completed, such as a Saturday afternoon sports edition. I think the job of shouting "Line Cut" went to the FoC as the Overseer could not be seen to be condoning going home while still being paid!

Dog's Cock - An exclamation mark (!)

If anyone has any other suggestions for Volume Two of Printing Trade Terms, please post them here.

Exclusive Letterpress Gifts - Metal Type on Zazzle: US or UK

Printers' Tales - Now out in paperback.
Stories from the pre-digital era.

Mechanic

• Linotype Mechanic
  • 28/05/2007
    • LINOTYPE
Re: Glossary of Printing Trade Terms - Vol. 2
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
 "Galley Rattle": appears to be the Australian equivilant of "Bang-out" Galleys are rattled on stones etc to highlight special events in the newspaper. Probably the last one at the Sydney Morning Herald was on March 25, 1984, when the last hot metal page of the SMH was proofed.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Jim Hubbard

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:40:03 PM »
Mumping - the borrowing of a fount from another typesetter when you don't have the said fount.

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:03:29 PM »
Thanks for that Jim, new one on me!
Exclusive Letterpress Gifts - Metal Type on Zazzle: US or UK

Printers' Tales - Now out in paperback.
Stories from the pre-digital era.

Roy Bowker

• Senior Tea Boy
  • 01/08/2006
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »
What about the saying (mainly in the letterpress machine room) " He's a pica in the pitch" meaning he's a bit mad. First heard this in 1956 when an apprentice at John Waddington's  Stoke Newington, North London.

Don Mountain

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 06:18:48 AM »
Re: Exclamation Mark terminology. It was always Dog's Dick when I was in the trade! Maybe the difference between Australia and the UK?

Nick Smith

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 03:30:55 PM »
Has anyone heard the expression 'screamer' for an exclamation mark? This was in a 1920s novel by Dorothy Sayers, who may have picked it up in an advertising agency.

Derek

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »
The pic I submitted some time ago was taken after an apprentice compositor was banged out on completing his apprenticeship:
http://www.metaltype.co.uk/photos/photo143.shtml
Derek

Copyright © Metal Type Forum