Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Intertype Model X

Started by Dave Hughes, May 20, 2010, 10:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

I've been contacted, via email, by Reece Venable, who is looking for further information on the Model X Intertype.

I'm afraid I've drawn a blank on this one.

Anyone else know anything about them?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

Like a lot of people involved with hot metal line casting machines I had heard of the Intertype model X. I had also heard it was a highbred of a linotype rebuilt by Intertype, using intertype parts. I assume that Intertype took old Linotypes as trade ins and to take advantage of basic Linotype castings rebuilt the machine using where possible Intertype parts.

I have found an excellent web site that goes into detail, first hand of the Intertype model X which he owns. David M. MacMillan's Circuitous Root® is a web site that has bags of information regarding old Linotypes models. It also contains a photo of the identification plate from the model X.

http://www.circuitousroot.com/artifice/letters/press/linecasters/model-x/intro/index-0.html

I hope that the above will help answer Reece's enquiry.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dan Williams

Much of David's discussion involved brackets supporting the distribution system. Not much on casting system, although he mentioned the Intertype pot and molds on his machine. I will venture a guess that he has a linotype style pot pump safety levered off of the right vice jaw. Oops....Model 1 machines had a lever (pivoted at the rear of the pot) actuated by the justification system. Model 1 was possibly the only version of linotype that had the pump spring above the pot - I'll reference the photos in my 1916 "Suggestions to Machinists" that also says the Model 1s were discontinued in 1906, but were still be made "special order"  as late as 1916. That his machine has Star components suggests that it received more than Intertype modification. Theres a risk in assuming that all these machines were factory equipped versions when in fact there were some mightly creative machinists at work tinkering and modifying to keep the presses moving. The gas controls were likely upgraded at some point, one would hope.
I was always under the impression that these X machines were converted Lino model 1s. Darn if I can offer much reference. Linotypes limited size range was expanded beyond 11 points, with model 2 and subsequent machines, according to that 1916 S-to-M booklet.
This is getting into a far, long-ago time, when the first mass-produced machines were beginning to get used up or showing their limitations and obsolescence. Wow, this is before the first world war.
Glad to see interest in  history of this early phase of the technology.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚