Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

"Making Sure" at Monotype, 1955

Started by Dave Hughes, July 20, 2012, 11:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

An appeal for help from the makers of "Linotype: The Film"

QuoteWe need your help! This clip shows the credits to a 30-minute film about the making of hot-metal type matrices at Monotype in the UK, made around 1955. Unfortunately, the only copy of the film we have in the office is without sound, and we would love to track down a copy with the sound included, or perhaps even a copy of the script if one exists. If you have any information at all, please drop a line to me at sparky@ultrasparky.org and let me know. Thanks!

"Making Sure" at Monotype, 1955

Says Doug Wilson: "We are trying to find the audio for this film because it is a 45 minute film that looks amazing but isn't worth much without the audio."
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

stafford

It may be worth sending a letter (dont try to phone) to Duncan Avery Esq, at Monotype Hot Metal Ltd
at the Printing Museum address in Kennington London.  If he hasnt a copy he may know a man who has.

regards

Dave Hughes

Thanks for that Stafford.

Duncan Avery's address:

Duncan Avery, Monotype Hot Metal, 100 Hackford Rd, London SW9 0QU

Dave Hughes

Received an email from Bill Nairn in New Zealand.

It looks like we may have solved this one.

Dave - yes, our museum has a video (ex Carl Schlesinger) of "Making Sure". The producers of "Linotype: The Film" have had contact with Carl and I am sure he would make this film about Monotype available to them.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚