Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Model K & Model L Linotype

Started by Jimplicute, November 09, 2010, 03:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Jimplicute

I've seen pics of a model L & I've read about the Model K, but I really don't know anything about them.  Any body out there know anything?

Dave Hughes

There's a description of the Model K here:

http://www.linotype.org/Misc/models.html

about half-way down the (rather long) page.

Basically it was a re-cycled Model 1.

Not sure about the Model L, though!
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

A lot of model K and model L Linotypes were built by Canadian Linotype. I was told by an old Canadian Linotype office manager, that when Mergenthaler took over Linotype and Machinery England, Canadian Linotype was part of the deal. Mergenthaler executives came up to Canada to inspect the new machines that Canadian Linotype had finished but not sold. My understanding was that because Canadian Linotype was making a cheaper machine than Mergenthaler and that all future machines for America would be manufactured in Brooklyn NY, Canadian Linotype was instructed to stamp "R" in front of the serial number, indicating the machines were rebuilt. The information on the Linotype.org site that Dave directs you to, tends to support this, but claims that it was to be competitive with Intertype.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

A belated welcome to the Metal Type forum Jiimplicute  :)
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚