Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Books on Linotype and history of printing

Started by jcroach, November 03, 2006, 03:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

jcroach

Hello,

This is my first post.  My dad worked as a printer and linotype operator for nearly 40 years. He started working at his local newspaper in the late 1940s, went on to work as a printer in the US Army in Korea in the 1950s, owned his own printing company in the 1960s and 70s and worked for the Herff Jones Company in the 1980s.  I'd love to find a book or DVD on the history of printing for him for Christmas.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a book or any other printing related gift?

Jim
Bloomington, IN, USA

Dave Hughes

:) Welcome to the Metal Type Forum, Jim - I'm sure someone will come up with some suggestions  :)
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dan Williams

BUY a linotype slug in the recepients name. I think alot of people get a kick out of that. Of course, be mindful of the fact that its lead, for grown-ups only. Buying a lino slug name might even help keep the tradition alive.

jcroach

Quote from: Dan Williams on November 05, 2006, 09:24:54 PM
BUY a linotype slug in the recepients name. I think alot of people get a kick out of that. Of course, be mindful of the fact that its lead, for grown-ups only. Buying a lino slug name might even help keep the tradition alive.

Interesting idea, Dan.  Thanks.  Do you know of any resources for something like this? Mail order from the US preferably?

Dan Williams

At the moment, there is a fellow hosting an ebay sale under letterpress-linotype for casting lino slugs. I think its ACE Linotype out of New York. I am not sure what his price is, but I bet its reasonable.
Dan

SwissTypesetter

Due to lots of work recently, I only stumbled upon this here today ...

Did you find something?

Regards, Andy

jcroach

SwissTypesetter

Oh ... pity!
I think everyone here assumed you found something, after we heard nothing new from you!

It's well past christmas now, but if you're still interested in a "line of type" with a name on it, write a mail (with the name and shipping address) to my work address: a.hoffmann@papiermuseum.ch.
I'll take care of it as soon as possible!

Regards, Andy

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚