Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Printing language

Started by Roy Bowker, April 01, 2010, 07:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Roy Bowker

Can anybody remember the saying in the printing " A PICA IN THE PITCH ".  When I was an apprentice I can always remember one of the minders saying this. I was too embarrassed to ask him but I found out another way. If nobody knows then I shall give the answer next issue of Metal Type
     Roy Bowker

Mechanic

I know what a "pica" is and I know what "pitch" is in print language, but I have never heard the term "A Pica in the Pitch". I assume that it is not a derogatory term use in cricket when a batsman ducks when he sees a fastball coming at him down the pitch. That batsman being the pica.

An old Linotype operator often called me a "Bally Yahoo" when ever I did something stupid as an apprentice. I had never heard the term "Yahoo" before now I see it just about every time I sit down at the computer.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Jeff Zilles [jeffo]

Seems like the phrase was spoken and not written [or typeset] and as a result leaves some room for ambiguity, moreso if it is new to you and, like me, you haven't a clue!

The 'pica', which those of us invested into the fraternity picture as 'twelve points' and need a whole six of 'em to make an inch, may in fact be 'piker' and refer to a 'tightwad' or 'cheapskate' or perhaps 'a very small operator' and the 'pitch' may not be twentytwo yards of English green or a diamond if you happen to be on the other side of the pond but may be that dark gooey stuff, spelt the same way, but which is not often referenced these days for what it really is but used descriptively in the term 'black as pitch'.

Even so, having at least four meanings for two words, no matter how I juggle them I cannot get anything that is meaningful to me so I will await the answer to the puzzle with baited breath [otherwise known as printer's halitosis]

Please excuse the levity but that's the way it is today - so far!!

jeffo

Dave Hughes

I'm with Jeffo on this one.

Waiting with printer's halitosis! :)
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚