Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Model 31 restoration - Advice needed

Started by Roger Holmes, February 23, 2023, 03:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Roger Holmes

Following on from this thread: Linotype & mats for sale/rescue - Toronto, Canada

I now have this machine in Wainwright Alberta Canada it is a model 31 and am in the process of restoring it - need to know a few things about how to get at the fingers (rods) that activate the escapements so i can clean them - some of them are stuck - i have taken apart and cleaned cleaned the keyboard (and got it back together) - also need to know where i might be able to obtain replacement the rubber cam rollers and also need replacement for the assembly flat belt and a new star wheel - also the "book" talks about "scraping" the cams with a file - do you just drag the file at right angles across the top of the teeth?

Also am having trouble with taking a magazine off - it looks to me like someone has disconnected the drive mechanism that raises and lowers the centre channel the mag sits on for loading and removing - driving me crazy - my prior experience has all been on a model 8 - roger@starpress.ca  cell 780-806-9636

Mechanic

Roger, If I was standing beside you I might be able to tell you what to do. but I haven't worked at the trade since the early 1960's. My best suggestion is you contact Dave Seat at hot metal services. He maybe able to help you with parts and advice.

http://www.hotmetalservices.com/
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Hi Roger, and welcome to the Forum.

It sounds like you have made a good start in the restoration process, sorting out the keyboard cams, etc.

I would second Mechanic's advice about Dave Seat, I've heard nothing but good reports about his work.

Have you seen his videos on Youtube? He's posted a series on there about how to fix common problems.

I had a quick look but I don't think he's produced one about replacing the assembly belt.

This one is called "General Adjustments."

https://youtu.be/Ceq52fhyFYY
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dave Hughes

Linotype General Maintenance Part II (Assembling) booklet (1941) did have an illustration of the cam scraping, it looks like you use a very small file and go in between the teeth, but as you say, it's a little vague.

https://archive.org/download/LinotypeGeneralMaintenancePartII/mlc-lle-general-maintenance-2-0600rgbjpg.pdf

Sourcing spare parts may be an issue, I'm hoping someone else may have some advice on that.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

To gain access to the escapement levers wind the magazines up as high as they can go. You should be able to get in to free the sticking levers. I suggest you use one of the new penetrating lubricants such as inox and spray along the access rods and linkages. Let it sit for an hour or so and you may find with a little help you can free up the sticky ones.
YOU MAY HAVE TO REBLANCE THE CANNON USIING THE SPRING DRUMS EACH SIDE OF THE CANNON.
If my memory serves me the assembler entrance is fairly easy to remove
. Remove the matrix delivery belt and there is 3 or 4 screws and the entrance can be removed
I would not try to remove the escapement levers unless absolutely necessary
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚