Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Red Streak Linotype?

Started by Dave Hughes, October 24, 2022, 10:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Spotted this on Instagram, posted by the International Printing Museum (California, USA branch).

My eye was drawn to the red Linotype nameplate. Red Streak?

There's plenty of information on the main site about Blue Streaks: Blue Streak Linotypes, but I have never seen a mention of a Red Streak.

Has anyone seen or heard of one? Or does the International Printing Museum have a counterfeit nameplate in its collection?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CO0stIehwZB/?hl=en
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

The only red Linotype name plate I've seen is the Elektron.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Doug Wilson

In my almost 15 years of research and learning about the Linotype, I've never seen nor read anything about a "Red Streak" model!

Mechanic

Why not a Green Streak. After all this is the century to save the planet.
Looking at the Read Streak name plate it does look like it was manufactured. I wonder if it was made as a sample when the Elektron was being developed, or someone whose job it was to make the plates made one as a joke.
The LINOTYPE nameplates, like this at the top of magazine bracket had only LINOTYPE and trade mark. There was no indication of the model series. The Blue Streak series started with introduction of the swinging keyboard.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

That looks suspiciously like a Photoshopped image to me George, the poorly-aligned "STREAK" would never have got past the quality control of an old-school iron founder!

At least we know that the Red Streak one exists, notice the kerning between the E of Linotype and STREAK:

Dave Hughes

At the risk of going off on a tangent, I love this old Intertype sign that Doug Wilson posted on Twitter a little while back.

https://twitter.com/realdougwilson/status/1516085383146131467/

Mechanic

Dave the GREEN STREAK is a photo shop by me as a joke. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

I agree the RED STREAK is a genuine metal plate. That is what I was discussing when I said why I thought it may have been made. As a sample or a keep sake for someone. I just know it never appeared on an American Linotype. Mergenthaler only put trademark details at each end of LINOTYPE on the name plate attached to the top of the machine.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚