Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon

Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Hot Metal: Exhibition - York, UK

Started by Dave Hughes, June 29, 2022, 09:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Hughes

Here's details of an event that I may try to attend myself.

The launch event is on Tuesday, 5th July 6-9pm with the exhibition staying open until the end of the month.

Here's a article about it from the York Press website: Hot Metal: York newspapers exhibition to open, City Screen

Here are details from the exhibition organisers: Hot Metal: Exhibition Launch
10-Minute Forum Training, learn about New Features - Read this Post

Bruce Anderton

I visited this exhibition on July 7 and was disappointed by what I found: a small number of printed items (including full-size front pages), photographs and bits of Linotypes. Very meagre!

Additionally, the material is all wall-mounted in the City Screen café area, in front of which are tables and chairs for use by café customers, so if this area is occupied one cannot get near to the exhibition items to have a closer inspection—and some items are mounted at such a height that even someone as tall as myself could not see them to best advantage.

So doubly disappointing inasmuch as (a) there isn't much on display, and (b) there are difficulties in getting access to view what is there. Much more thought should have been given to the location of this rather inept display.

Dave Hughes

I managed to get to the launch event. Had an enjoyable evening meeting up with some old colleagues. Gerald Radnage, John Cook, John Whitelock and Tim from the Readers.

Agreed that the exhibition was a little small. Chris Poole's Linotype machine part was the highlight, just a shame Chris has passed away.

10-Minute Forum Training, learn about New Features - Read this Post

Helen S

Hi all

A friend passed on the link to this forum. Thanks so much for sharing the news of the exhibition, Dave. It's been set up by Kathy Davies, who has worked really hard to bring it together, and it's been fascinating to hear the stories and memories associated with the press -- such a brilliant history, and a real sense of community.

Kathy had to work with the space she was given at City Screen, and was on a tight timetable. So I hope visitors will understand the context, and appreciate the effort she has put into it. We're in total agreement that it would be lovely to give it more space -- it was amazing to see still more photographs, documents and objects make an appearance at the launch! So I hope we can find it a new home once it's finished at City Screen, and give a bit more room to this really rich slice of York's history and heritage. Thanks to everyone who has visited, and everyone who has been in touch with Kathy about her project.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletter. Click here to see back issues and details.