Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Author Topic: Pick up a Bargain!  (Read 3414 times)

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
Pick up a Bargain!
« on: July 09, 2009, 11:37:03 PM »
You've got to admire this guy's optimism! He wants 5,000 US Dollars for this machine. He is willing to take offers though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350216057111

His Description:

Antique Rare Linotype Machine. Made by Ottmar Merganthaler.  Three phase motor ( Emerson).  P95BJ  This Machine was used as recently as five years ago in a small Denver Printing shop making Christmas Cards!  Could be reconditioned and up and running again by the new owner.  Also would make a great Display piece for a Museum! This Rare piece of History is in Englewood, Colo. $4950.00.  The owner will consider offers!     Pickup in Englewood Colo free, or can be crated and shipped at buyers cost and arrangements.  *** Will be adding better photos shortly!

Join the UK's best craft beer club and get 12 off your first case - Claim Now

Exclusive Letterpress Gifts - Visit the Metal Type Zazzle Store ★ Framed Typography - 15 - Take a Look

mikefrommontana

• Apprentice
  • 07/02/2010
Re: Pick up a Bargain!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 09:37:55 PM »
Yeah, too bad some folks seem to think "weatherimg" adds value.  Might have been a really nice machine with the Hydraquadder and all.  Oh well.
g

Dan Williams

• Son of Ottmar
  • 22/06/2006
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 04:22:37 PM »
Molds are pretty much ruined. Distributor bar might work but would be hard on mats. All the castings survive.
I guess they figure that big machines must belong outside, like cars.

rag451

• Old Hand
  • 23/06/2006
    • Burleson Linotype
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:44:02 AM »
Mine looked worse.  ;)

http://www.burlesonlinotype.com

Robert

mikefrommontana

• Apprentice
  • 07/02/2010
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 04:16:05 AM »
Well yes, hands down your's was in worse shape.  Speaking of which, any news on your machine or was getting the main cams to turn over the end point for the cosmetic restoration?

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT

Mine looked worse.  ;)

http://www.burlesonlinotype.com

Robert

rag451

• Old Hand
  • 23/06/2006
    • Burleson Linotype
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »
Well, it's sitting in a shop half-done. A friend redid the motor, Dan (from on here) redid the keyboard and visited several times to steer me back in the right direction, and "mechanically" at least, it seemed to more or less function. Haven't gone farther than that due to local politics, though. Say what you will as for its preservation value, it was a very fun project to work on.

Mechanic

• Linotype Mechanic
  • 28/05/2007
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 12:18:03 AM »
I imagine there are a lot of hot metal typesetting machines out there in garages and museum storage waiting for some dedicated soul to come along and restore them.
The C4 Intertype at Pimpama near where I live only needs a pump stop safety and a drive belt. I had the machine turning over.
About the last thing I did at the print museum in Caboolture was to scrap a functioning English model 48 Linotype.
I admire Robert Griffith dedication to restoring his machine. I'm sure he got a lot of satisfaction.
Unfortunately my days of climbing over Intertypes or Linotypes is in the past. Now all I can do is talk about it.

The C4 Intertype at Pimpama is detailed on this site at:-
http://www.metaltype.co.uk/photos/photo83.shtml

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

jockellis

• Tea Boy
  • 03/06/2007
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 02:49:20 PM »
I'm surprised the city's code enforcement department hasn't made him send it to the scrapper.

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
Welcome back Jock  :D
Join the UK's best craft beer club and get 12 off your first case - Claim Now

Exclusive Letterpress Gifts - Visit the Metal Type Zazzle Store ★ Framed Typography - 15 - Take a Look