Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Cleaning a Monotype Metal Pot

Started by John Cornelisse, June 07, 2022, 09:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

KPMartin

John,
That would not have been me, unless I was railing against the overblown hazards of lead.

Indeed, the smoke occasionally rising from the pot is just plain smoke, a mix of carbon (soot) particles and recondensed oil vapours. Just like the smoke over a frying pan in the kitchen.

The biggest potential health hazard for type casters is the dust from the dross. This is so fine that it floats up in the slightest of air currents if disturbed. Although (I understand) it is primarily oxides of antimony and tin because the lead resists oxidation more, there are also some lead oxides there, and none of those oxides are safe to breathe so I use a dust mask when handling dross. Even then, only when doing so for extended time (like transferring it to another container), not when I'm just cleaning the pot.

KPMartin

Jason,
I don't have a super caster, just a comp caster, but they seem to use the same pot and geometrically compatible pumps (that is, the piston and nozzle have the same relationship to the mounting points). The only oddball pump I know of is the one for strip casting, which has the nozzle about an inch away from the other pump styles.

John Cornelisse

Dear @KPMartin

The smoke from the pot made from the burned oil is quite dangerous too.

The oil is burned not completely and sure contains some poisonous elements, even carcinogenic...

Smoking cigarettes makes your lungs also quite black.

Keri Szafir

Basically, volatile organic compounds from the thermal breakdown of the mould oil. Not a nice thing to breathe.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever." --John Keats

https://youtube.com/KeriSzafir
Founder and owner of Keritech Electronics

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚