Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

The Linotype Matrix - No.33

Started by Dave Hughes, May 21, 2022, 08:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Interesting find on Instagram, I believe this was a British publication.

The Adsans font brings back memories of setting classified ads on the South London Press back in the 1980s.

I think we used 4.75pt but the figures were quite wide for prices, phone numbers, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/COM8CDuJMpA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

They were originally published by Linotype and Machinery UK. Recently by Linotype GmbH
There was also version published in the USA Linotype News

https://issuu.com/linotype/docs/matrix_4.2

https://asset.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/BZT3AKWFVHWBA8V/E/file-779d6.pdf
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Nice info George, PDFs now render nicely, as you can see from the above.

Bruce Anderton

Very interested to see this. Quite different to the English "L&M News".
I was rather worried to read the article on TTS operation which suggested that an operator working one Lino should also "keep an eye" on another machine nearby which would be running on tape. NOT a good idea!

Dave Hughes

Hi Bruce, nice to see you on here  :D

Agreed. You can't operate one Lino and keep an eye on another one! Just Linotype trying to big-up how reliable their machines were I guess.

Was it 6 or 8 tape-operated linecasters that the York Press had, with 2 men "keeping an eye", as I remember?

Bruce Anderton

Hi Dave,
I seem to recall that at York, and also at Bradford & District Newspapers, where I started my hot metal life, the monitors didn't have too many Linos (or Intertypes) to look after compared to what went on in America, where one man might have to keep half a dozen linecasters churning out slugs. I have read some horror stories of guys trying to do this.
I had experience later on of being a monitor when I worked at Express Gifts at Church, near Accrington, where they had three Intertype Monarchs which had been brought over from America (!), altered to English depth moulds and driven not by tape but by floppy disc drive.
This was fine so long as nothing went wrong, but when the inevitable happened and say you were half way through the job, there was no way of restarting the casting operation at the point at which it had halted (as you could do with tape): thus you either had to start again from scratch or do the rest of the setting manually, which is what we normally did!
Because of the speed at which these Monarchs normally operated, they were arranged to either cast on alternate or consecutive moulds in order to avoid overheating (in the latter case, of course, one had to cast four lines before your first line dropped on to the galley).
Happy days!
Bruce

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚