Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Operational Typograph Machine - Video

Started by Dave Hughes, April 28, 2022, 06:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

There are plenty of videos on this site, and in other places, of Linotypes in operation. But to my knowledge, there are very few of a Rogers Typograph in operation.

So I was surprised to find this video, from Germany, on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/9TbrESlrOCc

The Typograph was very much a low-budget linecaster compared to a Linotype or Intertype. It was also designed to be operated with the operator standing up!

There are other articles about the Typograph on this site, including this example that was still being used in a Scottish jobbing office up until 1979.

This machine is part of The Whittaker Collection of linecasters and there are more photos and details here:

The Whittaker Collection - The Typograph

Also on the site is the fascinating story of how a new, updated version of the machine came to be manufactured in the 1960s.

The Modern Typograph - Article taken from The History of the Printer by Dr. James Eckman, published in 1965
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

stafford

I wonder does anyone recall the German made spaces sorting machine, the 'Kawi Sortier Hexe.'  It looked much like a miniature version of a fun fair mat slide tower.  The thing was It worked  with vibrations and worked very well.   I'd dearly like to have one and have a use for it   with the hand setting and dissing I do.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚