Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Arabic, Syriac and other non-latin typefaces

Started by John Cornelisse, April 16, 2022, 11:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

Recently I got a request for Arabic & Syrian... I myself do not have any of this.

From Monotype I have only a big specimen book with lots of plates.

For Hebrew I do know a place with lots of matrices available... The BookArtMuseum In L'dz, Poland.

Does anybody know a place where it is still possible to cast type for Arabic or Syriac?

Marco di Bella

Hi! Years ago I purchased arabic types from an old foundry in Cairo (Egypt). The factory is now closed but the owner still has the matrices. If interested get in touch and I can try to reach him.

Dave Hughes

Hi John, I have sent out a Tweet about your request here:

Arabic/Cyriac type-casting wanted - Twitter

It might be worth visiting the Tweet and re-tweeting it if you are active on that platform.

It will be interesting to see if anyone can help you.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Nicolas Regamey

Hi John,

"L'Atelier du Livre d'art et de l'Estampe" the National Printing Office (Imprimerie Nationale) in France must have non-Latin monotype matrices. There is also the IFAO in Cairo which has hieroglyph and certainly Arabic matrices.

In the material that I recovered from Leipzig, thanks to your help, there is a keyboard and the keybars for composing Arabic but unfortunately not the matrices. The Arabic keyboards are stored at the API in Geneva for a future exhibition on foreign languages. I'm going to Geneva next week, I can see if there are any Arabic matrices in stock... Who knows?

Nick Gill (Effra Press)

I have mats for Monotype Naskh (Arabic) at 16D. Unfortunately, as it was made on 0.2” (small comp) mats, it needs quite an unusual mould to cast it - a 16D or above doghouse mould, different to a standard large comp mould. It might be possible to cast it on a 14pt body, though it’s not something I’ve had the time to try out yet, and I’m a bit snowed under with casting jobs. Please do email me if you’re interested, and I’ll see what comes up- effrapress@gmail.com

nick

Nick Gill (Effra Press)

(I do also have Amharic mats, if anyone happens to need some Amharic type…)

Nick Gill (Effra Press)

I had the 14pt mould on today, in fact, so I’ve done a small trial to see if it might work. I’m not certain it’ll work for *all* characters, and I don’t yet have the set widths to work out how to do it all properly, but I don’t think it’s impossible. Just potentially very, very fiddly…

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc0o4fksKJ8/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚