Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Author Topic: using display mouds at the composition caster  (Read 162 times)

John Cornelisse

• 31/10/2014
using display mouds at the composition caster
« on: November 13, 2021, 06:48:41 PM »
Some time ago I found a set of display moulds for the composition caster, and a set of holders.

The moulds have insets from 14 pt to 36 points. I wonder could these moulds be used for large-composition ?

Is there anybody under us, with some experience with these instruments ?

English display                                                           American display 

John Cornelisse

• 31/10/2014
Re: using display mouds at the composition caster
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 06:48:54 PM »
In the mean time, I got some additional info about it all.

My thanks  to Ludwig Mohr, for the emails he did sent to me.

The first tow holders will fit into the bridge, and at G9 the centering pin will keep the mat at the right place.

Two holes in the paper, G9, and the paper movement on hold. A wedge in place and the width of the cast can be adjusted by hand.

Minty1310

• Tea Boy
  • 09/03/2020
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 07:50:16 PM »
Hi
Itís 20 years since I last operated a composition machine, but looking at your pics the second two look like 15x15 sized diecases so G8 or H8 would be the position for entering, however if I remember correctly,  locking the feed on the bridge will keep the main wedge lifted so positioning the mould open at around the 9 unit character width and difficult to get enough adjustment in the character width.
The only other way to amend the size is to manually set the transfer wedges to increase the character.
The first two pics look like they are more suited for a Supercaster but not sure as the size and centre pin positions look off-centre. The two on the right look a lot older than the one on the left so likely from a different machine model.
If they are from a supercaster I am not sure which bridge assembly the would run on.

David Bolton

• Tea Boy
  • 30/08/2017
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 10:22:52 AM »
The UK matrix holder on the left, with the long wooden handle, is for 1" display matrices to be cast on the composition caster. I have used this on my caster, but over 20 years ago, so can't remember how I got on with it. It would have a display mould on the caster, and it needed the slow speed gearing, and the centring pin auxiliary spring, etc. A photo of the holder is attached, showing top and bottom view.
I have another UK holder, image also attached, for American flat mats to be cast on the composition caster. My one looks the same as the final ones shown above. Again, I used this some 20 years ago, to cast 36pt Kennerley on my composition caster. One has to hold the matrix case at G8 and lock it in position by uncoupling the locking bar. I had trouble getting it locked, if I remember, as the caster tended to blow up several other pins, despite just G8 being punched, unless one was very quick in uncoupling the bar.