Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

interrobang

I've demo'd the machine Frank speaks about on a couple Open days at the museum.

A Model 31, curiously, built in Italy, and with a very high serial number. The last demo I did, the gentleman who had imported, and owned the machine was in attendance. If I recall, he mentioned that they had bought two, and the 2nd machine remained crated and never used.

For better or worse, the machine is fitted with a Star Quadder, and a very slow drive pinion. The later is useful when doing demo's since it facilitates talking through the actions of the machine without racing. With regard to the former, I prefer the mechanical Hydraquadder. But we like what we know, and I know the Hydraqudder since my Two-in-One Model 31 is fitted with one. I've never liked the arguably somewhat inscrutable workings of the Star, particularly the recast button.

I look forward to the day we can get back at it.

mjb      
--
interrobang letterpress
18 Kenton Road
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts 02130
617-522-4236

interrobangletterpress.com
linotypesetting.com
mjb

interrobang letterpress
18R Kenton Road
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts 02130
617-522-4236
interrobangletterpress.com
linotypesetting.com
typographybooks.com

Mechanic

That is interesting. I assume that when the Elektron was released there would be customers who were not prepared to purchases the electronic version of the Linotype. If you hadn't said it had a high serial number I would have thought that it was a machine left in Italy by US Army after WW2. The Star quadder I think would have had to have been a special request.

When Intertype moved the manufacture of hot metal machine to the UK. The Americans didn't like the Intertype English quadder, so they had new machines shipped without quadders and fitted Star quadders in the USA.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚