Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

extracting tin and antimony from the lead ashes

Started by John Cornelisse, October 10, 2020, 11:38:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

Casting type... at the end of the day, you need to remove the oxides from the surface of the pot. Getting most lead from it is one thing... at the end there will be a powder of oxides with still some tiny little bits of lead...

Each time casting and melting lead will lower the tin-content almost 1/2 a percentage...

In the past I brought this to a certain firm, that promised to recycle this all... It proved they actually were only interested in the lead it contained.

Now I'm thinking of extracting the tin and antimony myself.

The metal-oxides, it should be possible to reduce thee oxides with carbon-powder or pulverized charcoal, in a heated pot with no access of oxygen. the earthen pot heated with a big gas-burner.

This should be possible, and the regained metal... I could use it the restore the tin- and antimony-content of the lead type I want to cast.

Has anyone of us all some experience with this process.

John Cornelisse

At this moment I'm busy with an amount of charcoal, making it into a fine powder.

I still need a Terra Cotta container with a lid to close it from the air...

This container will be filled with a mix of charcoal powder and the metal oxides from the lead pot... the lid on it, and than heating it all with a burner. I do not have an oven for it.

The chemical reaction: SnO + C -> Sn + CO

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚