Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Postage stamps

Started by printsmurf, June 06, 2020, 11:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

printsmurf

This stamp was issued in Berlin on 11 May 1954. This was to commemorate the 100th birthday of Ottmar Mergenthaler.     The accompanying first day cover also depicted his Linotype machine.

There are other postage stamps depicting hot metal type but they are few and far between.

I have quite a few showing hand-presses and some showing litho machines.

scan0005.jpg

scan0003 - Copy.jpg

printsmurf

Further to previous post......hot metal characters.

Stamp issued by West Germany on 9 April 1991 to celebrate the 125th Anniversary of Lette Foundation - set up to promote careers for women.

scan0008.jpg

scan0013.jpg

Mechanic

A couple of additional stamps celebrating the invention of the Linotype.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

printsmurf

Issued on 19 March 1962 to celebrate 80 years of the Bulgarian State Printing Office. Georgi Dimitrov was a compositor and the stamp shows him with composing stick in hand He was the first communist leader of Bulgaria, from 1946 to 1949.

Georgi-Dimitrov-as-a-typesetter.jpg

The accompanying First Day Cover also shows a griffon with a pair of ink balls

printsmurf

Issued on 19 June 1963 to commemorate the centennial of the Hebrew Press in Palestine. Issued in sheets of 16 each stamp shows a nineteenth century compositor at work. The background of the whole sheet shows a page from the first issue in 1863 of Halbanon newspaper, giving each stamp a different background.

Halbanon-Hebrew-Press-Centenary sheet.jpg

Halbanon-Hebrew-Press-Centenary single.jpg

printsmurf

Metal Type on postage stamps

Issued on 15 June 1943 when Slovakia declared itself independent of Czechoslovakia.
Newspaper stamps. The N stands for Noviny (Newspaper)
As the name suggests, these stamps were used to pay the postage on newspapers sent through the mail.

scan0002.jpg

printsmurf

Metal Type on postage stamps

Issued by the Netherlands on 4 March 2003 to celebrate 300 years of the print firm Johan Enschede.

printsmurf

Quote from: Mechanic on June 13, 2020, 09:01:46 PMA couple of additional stamps celebrating the invention of the Linotype.

The first stamp was issued by the Republic of Ireland on 21 August 1986 to celebrate the anniversary of the Dublin Council of Trade Unions, founded in 1886.

The second stamp was issued by the United States of America on 22 February 1996 in a series Pioneers of Communication.

printsmurf

Another stamp with hot metal characters. Issued by Croatia on 7 February 1997 to commemorate the 600th birthday of Johannes Gutenberg.

600th-Anniversary-of-the-Birth-of-Johannes-Gutenberg.jpg

Dave Hughes

Hi @printsmurf I have sent out a Tweet about this topic.

It is here: Stamps about Printing - Twitter

If you have a Twitter account it would be good to give it a retweet to generate some interest. That applies to other Members too.

Following a recent major Forum upgrade Guest posting is being allowed again. We shall see how long it is before spammers make me tighten up security!

I thought I would add some British stamps to this thread.

I'm attaching a picture of a set of stamps issued in 1976 to commemorate the 500th anniversary of William Caxton printing.

1976_2501_l.jpg

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

printsmurf

Issued on 10 February 1983 as part of a set celebrating 500 years of printing in Sweden.

Dave Hughes

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

printsmurf

Issued by Spain on 4 March 1966 on the occasion of the Graphispack Exposition

First Day Cover

printsmurf

Not quite hot metal, more like 'cold rubber' - Issued by Spain on 2 January 2007 in a series 'toys'
Printing set.

printsmurf

More printing presses on stamps
Issued by Belgium on 17 December 1988.
The first press is a wooden handpress
The second is an iron Stanhope press
The third one ia lithographic press for use with a litho stone

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚