Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Unit shift

Started by John Cornelisse, May 14, 2020, 04:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

Is there somebody who knows what kind of codes the unit-shift attachment is using ?

I guess the E- and the D-signals are used for it...

I would like to know where the connectors for the attachment are located... Before I start a search for them.

The Monotype manuals are not very informative for this kind of things...

Keri Szafir

D shifts the row
E+F addresses column D
and that's all.

Use the little knob below the paper tower to turn the thing on and off.
One tube surely goes to the additional long pin (that pushes the diecase draw rod into the upper socket rather than lower) in the front pin block.
There's an air valve actuated by one of the cam levers (springbox one if I recall correctly) that delays the air flow to the additional pin, so that the diecase is shifted in a proper phase of the machine cycle.
Signals D, E, F from the paper tower, output to D pin and the air mains go to that block too. I don't know how your machine does it (it's slightly different than ours when it comes to the location of the unit shift switch), but it looks like the quadding and centering attachment pass through that block on ours. That's probably just a passthrough with no signal split, though. Only the air mains seems to be split.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever." --John Keats

https://youtube.com/KeriSzafir
Founder and owner of Keritech Electronics

John Cornelisse

Thanks, for the info.

I got some patent papers from Dan Jones in Canada too, those contain some drawings of the tubes too.

I need to figure out the connections, on my machine the E and the D are not working, and I need to find the place where the tubes should be connected.

From this machine the attachment is taken off.... I will figure it out. At presently I need to change the layout of the die-case a bit to be able to use it on this machine.

John Cornelisse

At this moment, the E- and D-pins react properly. I still need to find the connections for the D-pin.

A litle experimenting and a solution will occur.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚