Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Matrix holder for American matrices

Started by John Cornelisse, September 29, 2019, 12:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

Recently I found a matrix holder for American Supercaster matrices. I just post a few photo's of it here.

I have never seen a holder for the composition caster (or orphan-any) for these matrices, never seen any pricture of it anywhere...

Are there more copies of this piece anywhere in the world ?

This one is located in Lausanne, Switserland at this moment. The owner Nicolas Regamay has his printshop there and just started working with a Monotype composition caster.

For anybody interested, his website: www.ateliertypo.ch

Jason

Hi John,

This is interesting: I have a mat holder for the Super Caster that uses the same components as the holder you've shown for the Comp caster. I've shown photos of mine to other Super operators and no one seems to have seen it before, but now I've stumbled on this post and see that perhaps the holder I have is a modified version of what you have, or the other way around.

Jason

Dan Jones

Jason, a close inspection of the top picture reveals something interesting about this holder. The number "7972" is the correct manufacturing number for a Super Caster holder made for an American flat matrix. However, there is a visible patent date of 1908 on the other half of the holder. The Super Caster hit the market in 1929, so what you have appears to be an English Monotype part married to a Lanston (American) composition machine part. Why, who knows. Two thoughts, the original holder was damaged and parts were not available, so a fix was cobbled together. Alternatively, English Monotype kept an inventory of spares, so long after the actual machines were shipped, a customer could order spares. In this hypothetical case, they ordered the "7972" part however, other components were not available, so a fix was creatively made. Anyway, if it works, use it!

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚