Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Font ID: Alfereta Bold

Started by fatsean, September 18, 2006, 01:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

fatsean

I hope the picture appears - I haven't tried this before.

I have come across an old font from the Central Type Foundry.  I have searched & searched and contacted other letterpressmen, but have had no success identifying this font.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

Scott

Jeff Zilles [jeffo]

Scott

Possibly Alfereta Bold - I have a sample of Alfereta as a normal font from an old Mecanorma catalog which gives the Foundry as P.L.I - whoever they are - someone else may be able to expand this information or show it to be completely false.

What size is the font and what grooves or other marks - if any - does it have ??

jeffo

Dave Hughes

Here's a digital version of Alfereta (not Bold though):

Looking at them both I would say they are similar but not the same, there is quite a marked difference in the upper case D for instance.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

SwissTypesetter

the upper case "D" is not quite visible in lower righthand corner of the picture ... I think you looked at the "A" and compared it with the "D"?

Dave Hughes

Yes, you're right a bit of a mix-up. Having overcome that It has to be said that the upper case B looks a very good match!
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚