Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Author Topic: Font ID: Alfereta Bold  (Read 4924 times)

fatsean

• Ex Tea Boy
  • 18/09/2006
Font ID: Alfereta Bold
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:55:30 AM »

I hope the picture appears - I haven't tried this before.

I have come across an old font from the Central Type Foundry.  I have searched & searched and contacted other letterpressmen, but have had no success identifying this font.   Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you

Scott

Jeff Zilles [jeffo]

• R.I.P.
  • Gone but not Forgotten
  • 21/06/2006
Re: Unknown font identification
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 03:21:39 AM »
Scott

Possibly Alfereta Bold - I have a sample of Alfereta as a normal font from an old Mecanorma catalog which gives the Foundry as P.L.I - whoever they are - someone else may be able to expand this information or show it to be completely false.

What size is the font and what grooves or other marks - if any - does it have ??

jeffo

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 04:17:50 PM »
Here's a digital version of Alfereta (not Bold though):

Looking at them both I would say they are similar but not the same, there is quite a marked difference in the upper case D for instance.
Discover a new way to remove ads and trackers and donate to Metal Type - Get the Brave browser

SwissTypesetter

• Journeyman
  • 28/06/2006
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 12:47:40 PM »
the upper case "D" is not quite visible in lower righthand corner of the picture ... I think you looked at the "A" and compared it with the "D"?

Dave Hughes

• Administrator
  • 21/06/2006
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 01:59:33 PM »
Yes, you're right a bit of a mix-up. Having overcome that It has to be said that the upper case B looks a very good match!
Discover a new way to remove ads and trackers and donate to Metal Type - Get the Brave browser