Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Galley Press Identification

Started by Mechanic, July 02, 2018, 07:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

Does anyone know what brand of galley press this is, there are no markings anywhere on it. Also is there an adjustment for setting type high or does it just run over the type by its own weight. It is binding on the top guide runner and appears to be higher on one side than the other.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Nick Smith commented via email:
I've never seen one like this. There is no obvious adjustment, you can see that the roller is held down by plain wheels at each end which run against the top bars of the frame.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

parallel_imp

It looks like the original version of the Vandercook No. 1, indicated by the double trusses. See Vandercookpress.info website.

Dave Hughes

Dave Gladwell emailed the following:

I think that the picture may be of a Solna Proofing Press.

When I was apprenticed compositor at Billing & Sons of Guildford in Surrey, Mr Jack Balchin was the Press Proofer. One day in about 1955-56 I was instructed to be the Boy to change some battered sorts in a forme on the press and proudly done so.

Unfortunately I left my typescale where the flat pieces beside the cog runners move as shown here. When he motioned the cylinder for a proof, the end of the ruler became trapped in the wheel and jammed it solid. The Engineers Department was required to raise the cylinder and remove it. The cog tooth took the pice of steel out the typescale but it lasted me a life time still! Much bad language improved my vocabulary that day and I certainly was more careful in the future.The typescale bears the scars as pictured to this day.

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

It is a 1925 vintage Vandercook No. 1 Rigid Bed Truss Proof Press (Double Truss)
Wayne Messell a Lino mechanic friend tracked it down.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚