Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Modern Technology Ends Reign of King Linotype

Started by Mechanic, May 09, 2018, 06:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

The Washington Post and Linotype have been a topic of discussion lately.

I hope readers find this report of interest.

https://tinyurl.com/yclv9tsy
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Interesting article George.

Although not really print-related, this part had me puzzled:

QuoteThe Post also began with reporters using either a pencil or a pen to write a single long-hand copy of their stories. As the need for duplicates increased, reporters switched to writing with a stylus, an agate-pointed pencil, on a thin yellow tissue known as a "flimsy." This produced an original to go to the typesetter and a copy to stay with the reporter and editor.

This bit of journalistic antiquity ended shortly before the 1893 introduction of the Linotype.

Why did the journalists dispense with the need for having a duplicate of their articles just before the introduction of the Linotype?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

My guess is that with the introduction of typewriters and carbon paper, which both had been invented long before the Linotype, hand written, duplicated copy would have been phased out.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

listohan

I wonder if anyone has estimated how many handset typesetters would be replaced by a single Linotype, especially in newspaper work. There were, of course, other benefits of dealing with lines of type.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚