Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Anyone Know the Value of This Frederick Ullmer Albion press?

Started by Dave Hughes, September 20, 2017, 08:34:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

I have been contacted by Jane Mackey who is reluctantly having to get rid of this magnificent Albion press due to a house move.

The press is in the UK. Does anyone know what sort of price she should be looking for?

Here are some questions and answers that Jane provided to someone who showed an interest in buying, but dropped out:

Please tell me the words and numbers on the press.

Fredk Ullmer albion press patent 39321

What history of it do you know?
Bought from a fellow printmaker and had it transported from North Devon.

Please tell me the height , the footprint, the opened out length and the bed size.
Height 204cm Footprint with handles sticking out 6ft x 43 inches (feet footprint 86.5 cm x 64cm,  Opened out length 6ft. Bed size 28" x 21.75 inches. Top plate (printing size) 62cm x 46.5cm

Also please tell me the size of the tympan and frisket, and what they are covered in, and when last they were covered.

No tympan and frisket present but works fine without.

Please tell me if the rollerwheel part underneath is wooden or metal. It is the part that the straps run back and forth across. I'm not sure of its proper name.
It is metal.

Tell me if the handles are original, any splits, repairs or alterations.
Handles look original. Winding handle has no splits. Pulling handle has splits and tape round it but has worked perfectly fine for me and stood up to use with students.

Please tell me if any part of the press has been repaired with welding or patch bolts.
Not that I am aware of.  The top 'pineapple' was removed and then reassembled to get it through the doorway of my studio.

Please tell me if it has been repainted, or what you may have done to it's appearance.
I've done nothing to the appearance of it or modified it in any way. If it was repainted, it was some time ago - paint looks old.

Please tell me how it handles, whether it makes any noises and what you do to adjust it.
Handles fine in my opinion but I don't profess to be an expert. Have used other Albion presses and it handles comparatively well. There are some thin metal squares about 3 inches square - like thin etching plates - adjustment is by adding or removing these from the action. Quite simple but it works.

Anyone like to guess how much this press is worth?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Moana Road Press

At the beginning of last year I was seeking a valuation on a similar 20" x 15" Albion. The answer was £2500-3000 for a complete press in good working order.

Dave Hughes

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

John Cornelisse

Without a Tympane  and a Frisket precision printing would be a problem...

It looks that the bed is recently used with big wooden plates, no metaltype there at all.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚