Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

What is really killing the printing and publishing business

Started by nomoreprinting, August 16, 2017, 09:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

nomoreprinting

For many years since the computer came out, I felt the computer was killing the publishing business.

But, I am wrong, what killing off the publishing business is the fact one day, someone back in 2000 (+-) came up with putting everything on the internet for FREE.

The publisher thought people would love their publication and start purchasing the print copy.  No, with FREE news on the internet, free artwork and photos FREE we printers have been pushed out of business because someone said, it would great to have news stories on the internet.

You can read a book, type on forms, read would killing whom all for FREE on the internet!

WE GAVE AWAY OUR PRINTING BUSINESS TO THE FREE INTERNET!

So, it not that people no longer read, it the fact some fool started giving it away for FREE!

And, the people crying they have no customers, are the same people that put the FREE books, and newspaper on the internet!

:o

Dave Hughes

I seem to remember that when new typesetting technology was introduced in the newspaper industry we were told that lowered production costs would lead to a more diverse media.  ;D

Thirty years on and Murdoch still owns them all!  :'(
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

listohan

But it has. The Guardian is now published as local editions in the U.K., the U.S. and Australia. The New York Times has local representation in Australia. BBC News and news from Deutsche Welle and others is available all around the world to be consumed at times of our choosing.

But best of all I introduce you to The Conversation http://theconversation.com/ if you have not found it already. The concept started in Australia. The content is provided by university staff around the world by people writing on their area of interest and curated by experienced newspaper editors and sub editors. Involvement in funded research or consultancies must be disclosed. It's win win. The Conversation also has international editions. Then there are the news aggregators like Flipboard and the News app on IOS devices. Nothing is gained by artificial restraints on technology exploitation...tell the manual typesetting folk.

The enemy of all these outlets is consumers' time.

Dave Hughes

Firstly, thanks for the introduction to The Conversation. I was not aware of the site, and I'm very impressed.

I don't think the comments are quite as entertaining as those in the Guardian, but the articles seem better quality.

The new technology that I mentioned was meant to facilitate a more diverse print media, which it didn't.

It was the internet that paved the way for the diversity you mention, not computerised typesetting.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

listohan

Perhaps computerised typesetting and workplace reforms gave some papers a few more years.

But the internet might still be coming after them. Since digital advertising can be better targetted, you would think rates would be higher. But again because barriers to entry are much lower now, traditional media can't put their rates up.

listohan

The topic is also concerned with publishing as well as printing. Meanwhile, The Conversation now has an Indonesian edition. https://theconversation.com/the-conversation-launches-in-indonesia-83567

Not bad from a standing start six years ago as too much of the print media is going down market with click bait and freedom of the press under threat in some countries. Even in the USA of all places.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚