Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Ludlow sticking slug problem

Started by John B Easson, July 21, 2017, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John B Easson

My creaking and just operational Ludlow has a problem with the slugs sticking in the mats. I then have to extract the stick with slug attached, and break the slug to free the mats. I'm not sure why this is happening - is it temperature, pressure, dirty mats (they don't look bad, but haven't been used for ages)? It happens with large and small sizes. The metal in the pot is a mixture of scrap, not proper fresh ingots.
My book of troubleshooting solutions covers lots of topics, but not this one.

John Cornelisse

It looks that the metal could be a factor...

Metal for line casting machines, like Lino- & Intertype & Ludlow used an alloy near 4-8 Sn/An.

This alloy solidifies rather quick as a whole, at one define temperature, and the cristals the slug inside are rather small.

Whenever possible, it would be wise to use clean new lead bars.

Mechanic

Have a look at this maintenance sheet from Dave Seat.

http://www.hotmetalservices.com/Documents/JIMS%20-%20LUDLOW%20MAINTENANCE%20SCHEDULE.pdf

Visit his site
http://www.hotmetalservices.com/
He has a contact email address. People I know say he is very cooperative.

Although I've worked on Ludlows I'm no expert.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

John B Easson

Many thanks for those replies, I'll follow them up, though I fear Dave Seat would have apoplexy if he saw the state of my machine, never mind found out what my maintenance schedule was (or isn't). As to the metal, dropping my digital camera in the pot a few months ago may not have helped the alloy content: it certainly didn't do the camera any good. (I was videoing the process of casting.)

Dave Hughes

Glad you managed to find some help John.

Sorry to hear about your camera. Was the camera still filming when it dropped in the pot? Could make a good "blooper" video!
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚