Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Monotype Box Found in NZ

Started by Dave Hughes, February 07, 2018, 09:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

I have been contacted by a lady who found this interesting-looking Monotype box in New Zealand and would like to know what it is.

I'm not sure, but I'm sure somebody will.

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Keri Szafir

A typical Monotype composition caster mould box. Used for protecting the moulds against damage. The mould is the most precise part of the machine, it's replaceable and you need a few of them for different type sizes.
I wonder what else she has... "weird machine parts" and "total rubbish" can sometimes be quite a treasure for us.

Here https://www.flickr.com/photos/elegantandrogyne/18194619709/in/album-72157653482323328/ is the part of our mould collection.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever." --John Keats

https://youtube.com/KeriSzafir
Founder and owner of Keritech Electronics

John Cornelisse

This is a box for a constant height 8-point pica mould, but the actual mould is missing...

constant height: the blade and the siideblock of the mould had hardened surfaces, after readjusting the mould at the Monotype lab the height of the casted characters did not alter at all.

However, without the mould the box has only some decorative value for a typefounder.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚