Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

monotype parts

Started by John Cornelisse, September 02, 2016, 07:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

Today I got "some: monotype parts... Two packages: some 40 kilo in total, In it a English pica sized large composition mould.

a table full, no complain about that.

In it a few parts I cannot place inside the machine:and a piece I have not been able to restore, This piece first:

This piece will take the type from the typecarrier, the problem here is the hook, that should prevent the type from falling back to the typecarrie-channel....

This piece has obviouly been damaged. I might need to replace the hook-piece, te book of parts does not give a lot of info about it...

the second piece with questions, is obviously connected with the 0005-0075 mechanism but it is far to long, I suppose it belongs to an early version of the compcaster.

Another part I did see for the first time... I suppose it has something to do with large composition...

I suppose it is t cntrol the position of the permanent wedge, that does not move with diecases, but should stay where it has been placed, until another width is needed...

Keri Szafir

Definitely a nice collection. Where did you get it? I guess Antonio or Han will also appreciate a few new tools :).

The curved type channel blocks are Xf50F and K51FF (plate 35) for the display attachment, they move type into the galley like a super caster does (galley mechanism is completely out of action here). You may have photographed the blocks lying upside down, the one with protruding part should be on the left (adjustable) and the thicker one may be right (fixed). They are lying the right way among all the parts on the table.

The lever looks like a variation on b15D - instead of screwing the rod in, you adjust a nut at the end of the rod, which is interference-fit with the lever. It may indeed be the older version; look on Antonio's caster, it's old enough that you may spot this :).

The last part is a69D1 (plate 35) - justification and normal wedge gauge for display / quad and space mould / short lead and rule attachment.

Oh, and the mould oiler looks like it's meant for the super caster; it's screwed to the mould.

P.S. Got a few spare 6CT5 wrenches (the little ones)?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever." --John Keats

https://youtube.com/KeriSzafir
Founder and owner of Keritech Electronics

John Cornelisse

not a few, only one 6CT5 and one 6CT6 in it.

How desparate are you ? There should be a few of them at the BookArtMuseum I'm sure.

Keri Szafir

Not desperate at all; there is at least one, but I'd rather have one more on the other tool board :)
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

John Cornelisse

It is on it's way to you. the small wrenche.

How are you doing with your programs fot the new interface ? They should have a bit more progress...

Dan Jones

John, nice collection. The missing part on the curved type block, would the Type Archive have a spare part?
What size large comp mould? Pictures?
Thanks,

Dan

John Cornelisse

The large composition mould is a picca mould, .918" height, and the sizes are 14 up to 36 pica points.

The mould crossblock is stuck, but this comes from the solidified oil... No problem with this.

The insets have been surely used, still some lead particles there...blade   I will try to find out some of the history of it... at the type archyve.

It will be used eventually. Photo comes later.

The tools... of course I had those already, but they are welcome too. I have quite a storage under my bed.... An extra bridge, a papertower of a keyboard... and a lot more be sure.

Dan Jones

John, I sometimes put a stuck mould on the top of my wood stove for a minute or two, it is just the right temperature to loosen the old oil. This depends on the season, of course.

Dan

Keri Szafir

Some warmth and love from a hot air gun is also OK; I had to do it a few times to loosen the interference fit joints or badly rusted parts.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚